• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

smiley4

I use Poser, Bryce4, and 3DS max but...

This topic is 5789 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''d like to know how to not only model and add bones to a character but how to add interaction with its surrounding environment. Also, what algorithims do you use to assign keys that control which movement algorithims a character uses. For example (in pesudo code) if the "k" key is pressed then pull up animation file "kick" after animation file has played display damage Do you pre-render a character''s movements or do you create a simple framework for the character and add a skin to it to create a 3d character? Please help me out. I have all the pre-planning stages for a game worked out on paper, but I don''t know how to program them in C++.

Advertisement
Eh, I don''t get you exactly so if I say something you didn''t wanted to know I''m sorry

I understand that you want to make your modells fully controlable(is that a word?). Press a key do this..

But you can''t do that in 3dsmax or poser or bryce..

You make your modell, make the animation and export it to a fileformat. You import that fileformat in your game engine and with your input class you make the controls.

Say the user presses ''k'' for kick you lett the game engine play the prefered animation and if you hit something(collision detection) calculate how many damage you did.

If you want to make a game you need more than only 3dsmax/poser/bryce. You need to learn how to program

Perhaps I need to rephrase my knowlege of game-making. I am a professional illustrator who also does 3d animation in my spare time and wants to eventualy make a content-based game that is much like a cross between Halo and Everquest for my own pleasure. (I realize that by the time I create such a game they will have already put something like it out on the market, but this way don''t have to go and buy it. Plus it will be fun just creating the content alone.)

I can create models of figures, places, animals ect... and still have time to make the textures for them. Basicly I could create all the content, ideas for the storyline, and basic rules for the game. But when it comes to programming, I don''t know Jack. I know that in C++ everything you type in code is case-sensitve.

Still, I''m wanting my idea to become a reality. So I''m on the beginner''s forum for just that -- to learn from the ones who are at my level of programmer''s expertice, so they can tell me what they''ve learned while I learn on my own, and because I can learn a lot easier from others than from just reading this huge book I have on C++. (This will also help me out if I can get into Full Sail later on.)

Thank you.

My two cents : it sounds like you are more focused on the art component than on the actual game development component. Trust me, creating a game of that magnitude is no walk in the park, even for a team of people. I have been writing games and applications of different sizes for around 18 years now, and I am pretty fluent in C++ / Java and even win32 assembly, and I wouldn''t tackle a project like that on my own. It''s huge. And if you are going to be responsible for creating content as well as programming, you should set aside 5 years of your life doing nothing but that, and then maybe, just maybe, you will have a working demo. It''s not worth it... you will be better of honing your art skills and partnering with someone that will be responsible for the bulk of the C++ programming, and if you want you can adjust your level of involvement by doing some AI scripting or whatever to coax your way into the more serious stuff. Best of luck to ya.

There can be only one.

If you are as good as you say you are in various art programs, stick with it. Don''t try to learn programmming when you are an artist and the same goes with programmers trying to learn art. It is impossible to be proficient at every aspect of game development in this technology now. However if you are wanting to create this game, join up with a programmer here and work together. Since you did not mention you knew about sound, then you will probobly need a music and effect creator also as that is another major part of the game. If you were to learn programming, I would guarentee that your Halo/Everquest game won''t be created for another 8 years at least. And if you were to devote your time to programming isntead of art, you''d naturally lose some art ability and be back to square one - just OKAY at art and programming. Companies look for proficiency in a one division, not in every division of the company. Hopefully if you can create a design and most of the art, a few programmers will be willing to join up with you in the Help Wanted section later.

---
Brent Gunning | My Site

Thank you for you guys advice. I''ll take that into great consiteration. I will continue to create my characters and surroundings for each one. However, I will try to toy around with the AI and concept ideas for this game a little more. As for getting a programmer, it''s hard to find help without having to pay for it. I, for now, want to do the content just for the learning experience. Picture a game where you design your character based on race, gender, class, and basic starting weapons -- like in Everquest. But also, when you start the game you are transported to that charater''s hometown in a specialized training center based on it''s race and class. Example: if you''re a mercinary, you start out at the recuit center where you are soon ordered to stand in formation. There is "drill instructor" there who makes his rounds as he shouts off insults like Ermy off of Full Metal Jacket. If you are a monk you start out in a temple and are taught by a sensi. You can learn how to fight at these schools or you can just turn around at the recruiting station and go your own way. Also, imagine the combat not looking as cheesy as it does on Everquest, but each movement is really what a soldier, monk, saberman, spy, ect would use. You can get in vechicles (either by stealing them or buying them), you start off rusty, but you can even get more proficiant at driving. All scars that you get stay and only heal a little over time. Your faction with others can either rise or fall. You can even start of as an evil character and be as maliciuos as you want. I''m wanting in a game what Fable was supposed to promise plus more.

If you can model and animate and want to create a game, I suggest you try Blender. Its primarily a modeling and animation package, but it also has and interactive component call Game Blender.

I haven't really used that section of Blender, and I understand that it requires a 3D accelerator to function, but It may be worth a shot.

You can dowload Blender at www.blender.org . You can then go the user community at www.elysiun.com to find tutorials.

[edited by - yspotua on December 6, 2002 10:55:53 PM]

Actually, I''d use Zbrush, it''s easier to make models that way. Then I can import them to 3ds max, link bones to them and create the animation.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!