• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AndreTheGiant

Gaming Schools?

This topic is 5799 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I have less than a year left until i complete my Computer Science Degree. I hate to say it but I dont feel like i know a whole hell of a lot more than before I started going to University. After all the arts, business, science, math, and theory courses they make you take, Ive only really been in about 2 or 3 courses specifically programming oriented. Ive just started experiementing with Opengl the past few months on my own, and have never created my own game (unless you can call balls bouncing around a screen a game). I do have some professional work experience though, mostly web stuff, and a little bit of java development. I find everything so boring. I really think I would need a game related job to be really happy in my work. Ive loved games since i was a wee tot and always thought about how it was done while i was playing them. Reading all the posts on this forum, it sounds like it is really really damn hard to get a job making games. I dont expect to be working on Doom4 any time soon, but I would like to be doing something game related. Since I found my university career very lacking, is there anywhere else i can turn? I expect to be flat-ass broke, but debt free when i graduate. Are there schools out there specifically designed to teach game making? Are they any good? how much do they cost? Does anyone have any experience with them? Are employers willing to hire people straight out of a game school, or do you still need real work experience? Thanks to anyone who replies. Ive been thinking about this stuff a lot lately. Please dont make me program bank accounts! ----- It''''s not my fault I''''m the biggest and the strongest; I don''''t even exercise!

Advertisement
You know, it *really* irks me when people post threads like these yet leave their ''From:'' field in their profile blank, since that makes quite a bit of difference.

Over here in the Uk there''s quite a few uni degrees geared towards game dev, but most are only a few years old at most so opinion is still divided. There''s a few commercial ones in America as well, and an article on gamedev somewhere by someone who attended, which could give you some starting points..

thanks for the links. I was looking at the FullSail website, and the courses they offer seem to be just what I need. Has anyone here ever enrolled in FullSail? Or anything like it?

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!