• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

smiley4

Is there any WYSIWYG like editors for C++?

This topic is 5821 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve used Dreamweaver in the past to create some web-site samples. I think it would be easier for artists if they could do what programmers can do now with less training. Of course that may put many prorammers out of a job, but it would make production much faster for games. I chalenge anyone to write such a program that is like a WYSIWYG editor.

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by smiley4
I chalenge anyone to write such a program that is like a WYSIWYG editor.

microsoft has already done it...

-eldee
;another space monkey;
[ Forced Evolution Studios ]

::evolve::

Do NOT let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is not a real doctor!

It''s good, but don''t expect to make anything other than Office Applications in such a manner.

-Ryan "Run_The_Shadows"
-Run_The_Shadows@excite.com
-The Navidson Record! The best film you''ll never see!

If you''re talking about some kind of environment where you can design your game-screen and create a game directly from the design, then there are a few. For completely code-free development, there''s The Games Factory from Clickteam, but you''re fairly limited in the stuff you can create with it. If you don''t mind some code, there''s Macromedia Flash and Director.

There''s even Visual Basic and Delphi, but they''re more oriented towards on-screen development of entry forms and dialog boxes than games.

I''m sorry guys. I hit the post button too many times and it resulted with 3 of the same posts. I''m working on the problem. As for a WYSIWYG, I''m just a graphics illustrator who wants to make 3d mods for games that have realistic movement. I''ve been told that earlier computer games were made using Director. But even Director dosen''t provide all the options as programming can.
I''m sure that if I used different game engines, level editors, and character creation software that I can fake it like in some animation (cheap tricks of the trade). I need to know a reasonable polygon count to give each character so that the data will be relitively low to proccess and render. If I put a character on screen with as many features as I''m hoping to give it, I need to know how simple in design it needs to be. Right now, I have a cartoon concept for the characters, but if I can, I''ll bump up the polygon count.

There's something called Quest 3D that I think might be what you want, not sure thought since I never used it.
Here's a quote form the page that seems to fitt exactly on you:
quote:

"I'm a real-time artist, not a programmer. But I have found the visual programming method of Quest3D ("Channeling") to be very intuitive and easy to learn. This program just makes sense!" - David Dickerson

http://www.quest3d.com

--
"You can never know everything, and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyways." - The Wheel of Time

[edited by - Spearhawk on December 6, 2002 12:38:31 PM]

Well, I first posted this to one of your other posts. I''ve deleted my post in that thread so maybe now you can delete it?

Anyway, I''ve seen a few of these around on sourceforge and elsewhere. Some were commercial type applications. I even think I saw an advertisement for one such system here on GameDev. As I see it, from my limited gamer hobbyist''s point of view, the problem with these types of systems will always be that they only take you so far. I do have an extensive background in corporate business systems, however, and I''ve seen similar types of applications tried in this setting. I think Access or some other limited database front end is a good example. They only take you so far until you need to start coding.

I''m curious though. Does this idea of yours extend from a belief that a programmer''s talents are easier "duplicated" in code than an artists? Because the reverse statement could be made about programmers as artists. Give the programmer the tools necessary to do what an artist does and then you only need programmers. (Sorry, just playing devil''s advocate here. I really believe that neither type of "developer" can be replaced by code.)

Perhaps you''re right Darrell L I just think that we should bridge the gap between Artists and Progammers alike. After all, what we really want to do is make programs that can entertain and help others, right? I just think that if we could both work efficiently -- though we use what methods are more comfortable to each own -- a product can be made that can be monument to an era.

Just like Mario is to Nintendo, we each need to have the ability to create a monument that represents ourselves as the creative and techincal end of the workplace. And why be separate when we can share each others skills and act as a team?

Also, there realy isn't much difference between the 2 already. I just wish that I could get my first drafts done more swiftly without having to be overly percise.

We both use some form of Mathmatics to do our jobs proficiantly. I use mostly forms of geometry and algebra with my creative skills while you use more trigimomic functions aside from what I use.

[edited by - smiley4 on December 6, 2002 3:52:15 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!