• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there any WYSIWYG like editors for C++?

This topic is 5546 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve used Dreamweaver in the past to create some web-site samples. I think it would be easier for artists if they could do what programmers can do now with less training. Of course that may put many prorammers out of a job, but it would make production much faster for games. I chalenge anyone to write such a program that is like a WYSIWYG editor.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Shut up.

Guest Anonymous Poster
The only problem with that Idea is that, HTML is a very very easy programming langauge if you can if you can even call it one.. and alot of times they can''t even do that well.. so making some thing that could make any kind of complex game structure would be next to impossible.. probably could be done to a point, (ie. always the same logic rules) but not very realistic

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
HTML is a very very easy programming langauge if you can if you can even call it one..

You can''t.

For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can''t readily accept the God formula, the big answers don''t remain stone- written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command or faith a dictum. I am my own God. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us -- Charles Bukowski

What on earth are you talking about? Of course you can have WYSIWYG editors for games (various examples exist), but how do you plan on transferring that concept to a "C++ editor"?

do a search for game creation without programming might throw up some engines out there geared towards non-programmers. but as for one for C++ I don''t think you will find one but the others can get some good games working with ease.

to the AP that stated shut up very constructive I suggest you go back under the rock you came from it''s ok for people who don''t know to ask otherwise what would be the point of this forum..

I''m sorry guys. I hit the post button too many times and it resulted with 3 of the same posts. I''m working on the problem. As for a WYSIWYG, I''m just a graphics illustrator who wants to make 3d mods for games that have realistic movement. I''ve been told that earlier computer games were made using Director. But even Director dosen''t provide all the options as programming can.
I''m sure that if I used different game engines, level editors, and character creation software that I can fake it like in some animation (cheap tricks of the trade). I need to know a reasonable polygon count to give each character so that the data will be relitively low to proccess and render. If I put a character on screen with as many features as I''m hoping to give it, I need to know how simple in design it needs to be. Right now, I have a cartoon concept for the characters, but if I can, I''ll bump up the polygon count.

To tell you the truth, people have done this before, and you probably have seen them. They are things like the Aurora Toolset in Neverwinter Nights, or UnrealEd in Unreal Tournament. The only limitation of these editors is that they are not flexible at all when creating a game. It is very, difficult to make a flexible game editor that could be in the league of something like the Aurora Toolset. Since the genres are so different, it would require the work of three games.

The only way I could see this even remotely being done is through a lot less comprehensive editor. One would have to focus on the game structure itself, not the content. All it would be able to handle would be the setup of all the components necessary (e.g. graphics, sound, networking), rendering models and levels, detecting collisions, the rendering of 2D images, and maybe the framework for the AI.

Still-even with something like this-it would be very difficult to learn. You would probably have to be a programmer or be very well-versed in the arts of game development to know when you should use a BSP tree and when you should use portals, or for that matter, what BSP trees and portals are.

It would be very difficult to make, but it is probably possible, although I could see something more along the lines of an official Dungeons and Dragons RPG Maker, or an official FPS Maker.

RTFM | STFW | EMFP

[edited by - elendil67 on December 6, 2002 8:11:52 PM]

have a look at the following.

http://conitec.net/a4info.htm

http://www.blender3d.org/

http://www.the3dgamemaker.com/

http://www.darkbasic.com/

http://www.blitzbasic.com

I have tried a couple of these and they are quite good fun to play with but not sure if this is what you mean by the post.

Anyway they are good for prototyping ideas out.

Cheers

elendil67, you seem to be on the right track. That''s what I''m expecting from a program that can do for C++ what WYSIWYG can do for HTML. I need a program that can focus only on the basic structure of a game. The graphics and 3d meshes can be made in other programs and then imported. Now that I think of it, I think 3ds max can support collision detection as well. I am hoping to get a program that will link behaviors based on situational conditions. Apply collision detection between two objects. Then apply reaction of that collision. You can choose between bounce (and be able to edit bounce to a degree of direction or acording to a physics engine taking into account rate of approach until collision and angle of approach). Then be able to add graphics as clipings if needed for reactions to certain objects colliding with other objects. I want a water effects (dynamic ripple effects) tool. Stuff like that. I think that with a little thought it is possable to make such an editor.
Also, always make it possible to edit the code directly so that all bugs can be fixed within the application before compiling. That way programmers can still work their magic but artists can still play along.

You may give a look at Virtools. It allows you to create games without coding and have pretty good integrated physic and rendering engines. It''s not free but there''s perhaps a free (and limited) version.

smilely did you even bother to look at those links from my other post. thoses are what you are looking for it seems.

Yes I did, and I've used darkbasic and still didn't understand it to the fullest. I need a visual point and click style of artistic tool or at least and instruction book to come with it.

Also, I've looked at the Virtools web site, and I think that is closer to what I'm looking for. I'll get the program, make a demo, and then have some C++ experts look at the source code and stream-line it. Thanks. ...now if only I could find a way to delete this thread...

[edited by - smiley4 on December 12, 2002 3:45:17 PM]

Oh my God! 5 K ???!!!! I could buy a car for that much!!! Ok, so Virtool is not the way to go for right now. I guess I'm stuck with the C++ experts ruling my creativite edge... *sob*

[edited by - smiley4 on December 12, 2002 4:29:52 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
I guess I''m stuck with the C++ experts ruling my creativite edge... *sob*

Why not work WITH a programmer? Be the creative director, develop the content, etc.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Creativity is great and all, but by itself it gets you nowhere. 90% of making a game is not creative. If you don''t have the motivation to just learn C++, then you should really just be an artist instead of trying to make your own games.

There is no easy way out. Learning C++ is hard for the first few months, but once you reach a certain point the code will flow off your fingers. The reason there is no WYSIWYG editor for C++ is because it is far too complicated. Way too complicated. It''s like trying to create a WYSIWYG editor for the English language.

Simply put: learn to code or be an artist.

Hey smiley how old are you? Just curious.
I think you don''t need a "WYSIWYG like editor for C++", you need a good application to make games. Post a new thread asking for that and you will get your answers, I don''t know any. Good luck

Your right, I only need an application that I can use to make games. But, I''ve decided to work with a programmer -- in fact a few programmers. I''m only 22, and I have a lot of time to learn anything. So, I guess I''ll drag myself back to college and learn at least a little bit of C++, so I know what level I''ll be working on. I''m glad that there are dedicated people who took the time to learn this stuff. As for Art Director, yes, I''m doing that (unofficialy). I''m going to try to delete this thread soon, but every time I''ve done it in the past, it always sends me to an invalid page. Thank you for all your support and input.

• Advertisement