• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RuneLancer

Using the SPC format...?

This topic is 5799 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! I''m interested in making use of the SPC format [1] in C++. I have a DLL that plays them flawlessly, but that doesn''t allow anything else to play sounds while it runs and that severely crashes things when the program terminates without it being properly deinitialized (which shouldn''t happen, unless the game crashes). I''m not very experienced when it comes to sound and music-related programming, so I was hoping someone could give some advice or point me off to some ressources I could use to get the SPC format to play in my game without the aforementionned problems. Thanks ^^ [1] The SPC format is a dump of SNES and SFAM music. The file is always 64k and contains the instruments, the score, and some other things.

Advertisement
Check out the various emulator technical repositories for information on SPC playback.

Basically, you''ll need to emulate the SPC processor (the SNES''s sound CPU) and the actual sound hardware of the SNES in order to playback the SPC files which, AFAIK, contain SPC code and data (they may be a simple dump of the SPC''s address space.)

---
Bart

http://www.zophar.net has an excellent repository of information.

However SPC programming is very complicated, you shouldn''t expect to get a nice high quality mixer performing well in your first few weeks. Sound programming takes a while to get used to unless you''ve done it before (but it''s quite fun ). So don''t let me dissuade you from starting on the project, by all means, go for it, you will no doubt learn a lot and hopefully have fun doing it .

If you can''t find enough info, feel free to email me, I have quite a large repository of SNES programming info.

Hmm, I checked around a bit last night and came up somewhat empty-handed (and... er... was a bit too lazy to create an account and ask on the ZSNES developement boards ^^; though I recall seeing stuff pertaining to SPCs back at Zophar''s domaine a while ago, now that I think of it...

I found a couple of things now, most of them being in assembler. I guess I kinda have my work cut-out for me now, though I''m still planning to go through with this

At least it''ll give me something to do this weekend other than prepare for a philosophy exam. Thanks! ^^

Check out this link: http://www.zophar.net/tech/snes.html. It has a great document called Snes sounds that explains the SPC format very well.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!