• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coz

Are meshes faster than nurbs?

This topic is 5731 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m just guessing, but since nurbs are so smooth i assume they are a lot slower than meshes, even if it has enough vertex to simulate a smooth surface?

Advertisement
Can''t say I know *for certain* but I''d imagine NURBs to be slow-as-hell compared to a mesh-based model.

-Ryan "Run_The_Shadows"
-Run_The_Shadows@excite.com
-The Navidson Record! The best film you''ll never see!

Well, the NURBS are used in modeling programs because they can change resolution since they arent escentially an object but a ecuation.

With NURBS you can create an object that in memory an viewport is really fast, but in render they are Slow-as-hell (but with a really better resolution).

NURBS can be as faster as MESH, bacause before render
nurbs are transformed into a mesh with the desired resolution.

If you generate a mesh from NURBS with 10 polygons it will
be the same as having a simple mesh with 10 polygons, so
the speed on rendering is the same.

Kamikaze

In addition to kamikaze15''s post, you would probably use NURBS for graphics card compatibility in games. Then you could still support an ATI Rage 128 and also provide the best graphics for the Geforce FX, or even newer graphics cards. I assume you could do the same with lighting and textures, as is becoming more important in games nowadays (Doom III).

RTFM | STFW | EMFP

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!