Tell me your dependencies!

Started by
8 comments, last by BradDaBug 21 years, 4 months ago
Why don''t folks tell what dependencies their RPM needs! Why must I wait and download an RPM only to have a nice suprise "Hey! You need blah and blah and blah!" and I go WHAT! I start trying to find it, and its no where in Mandrake''s Package Manager thing. Now where do I find this stuff? Right now I''m trying to install Abiword, and the RPM says it needs libssl.so.2, libcrypto.so.2, and libpng.so.2. Where do I find these? I have the ssl and png packages installed! All thats left are little Apache plugins! Anyways, that''s my gripe. Thanks for listening.
I like the DARK layout!
Advertisement
sudo apt-get install foo

Oops, you said Mandrake, not Debian.
well, double check that RPM knows their installed, and run ldconfig for good measure, then try again.

if that don''t work, welcome to RPM dependancy hell.
I just checked for the files it wants, and there they''re there, sort of. libssl.so amd libcrypto.so versions I have are too old, and the libpng.so version I have is too new.

Maybe if I used --nodeps? Can I use --nodeps? It won''t hurt anything if I use --nodeps... I''m gonna try --nodeps!
I like the DARK layout!
I used --nodeps and it installed it, but when I first ran it it complained about not finding libpng.so.2, so I made a symbolic link from libpng.so.2 to libpng.so.3! Sneaky, ain''t I! Now AbiWord works!

I probably just broke everything.
I like the DARK layout!
Nah, you''ll probably be ok doing that. Going backwards is often ok, going forwards can be disastrous.

Next time, use rpmfind.net - you can search for individual files/libraries within packages for your flavor of distro.

Of course, RPM still sucks.
Yup. Everything is ducky. But after using AbiWord for a little bit, I decided I needed a table, and I couldn''t figure out how to add a table. Apparently AbiWord doesn''t have tables!

So I just cranked up OpenOffice''s word processor. Gah! That thing is so UGLY! It looks like Windows or something!

I still can''t get Mandrake to print to a printer hooked up to a Windows machine, so I still have to boot to Windows to print anything!
I like the DARK layout!
Speaking of dependencies, I''m considering possibly created a Slackware tool that will make package management more apt-like... That is, if I can get help on it... And the time
quote:Original post by BradDaBug
So I just cranked up OpenOffice''s word processor. Gah! That thing is so UGLY! It looks like Windows or something!

They''re going to rewrite OpenOffice with a new widget toolkit (I don''t know when they plan on doing this), it should look like native GTK+ in *nix after that.
quote:Original post by BradDaBug
I still can''t get Mandrake to print to a printer hooked up to a Windows machine, so I still have to boot to Windows to print anything!

Did you try the instructions I gave you here? It may be even easier (automated through a GUI or something) in Mandrake, if you want to check for instructions on the Mandrake site or something.

There is an automateg GUI thingy in Mandrake, but it won''t work. And I tried the instructions you gave, but when I try to click ADD PRINTER it saye 403: Forbidden.

I bet this is about to get much more complicated.
I like the DARK layout!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement