• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Adventures with statics -or- I need my lparam to get the mouseposition damnit!

This topic is 5559 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a problem right now. My WinProc is created as a static in a window-class I allocate/create when the program starts. I never thought much of this earlier when I created the functions and classes, but now I need the lparam contained in it to get Windows current mouseposition. The static nature of this function is now disturbing since I really need to get to the lparam. But what should I do? I tried moving the callback out of the class but in the end it was just too cumbersome and required a high number of ugly solutions to be worth it, with time and a shitload of work I might resolve the issue in a nicer way but it requires too much work and time so I''m currently looking for another solution. -so- The only thing I really need is to get the mouseposition from Windows, but I haven''t found a good way to do that. Can anyone help me with this?

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
GetCursorPos() is your saviour.
Messages suck for game input.

Yeah, but framerate/speed is not an issue here, it''s just a 2d boardgame I''m making so framerate is not an issue right now.
But thanks, I''ll look into GetCursorPos!

Check this out:

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/programming/features/win32wrapper/

Using the message router concept will eliminate the problems caused by the static member function WinProc (if i understand your problem correctly =] )

I''m not quite sure what your problem is ... the WinProc function is global ... but so what ... each call is done with an hWnd parameter ... which is basically a "this" pointer ...

but none of that matters really -

if you have only one main window, then everytime you recieve a mouse message, just store the coordinate into a global variable - for everyone to access - cause a mouse is a global resource, just like your primary surface, and your sournd hardware, so just make a global / singleton object, and anyone who wants to use it, can.

• Advertisement