linux: AAAHHHHHHHHHH!

Started by
21 comments, last by Gameplayer 21 years, 4 months ago
I have a similar question. I''m thinking about buying a second hard drive (don''t wanna mess w/ hard drive w/ xp pro), and I was wondering if there is some way to set up a boot prompt asking me which hard drive to boot from. Anybody know how??? ( I hope it''s possible...) Thanks in advance.

~del
~del
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Del Snd of Thndr
I have a similar question. I''m thinking about buying a second hard drive (don''t wanna mess w/ hard drive w/ xp pro), and I was wondering if there is some way to set up a boot prompt asking me which hard drive to boot from. Anybody know how??? ( I hope it''s possible...) Thanks in advance.

~del

The Linux boot loader will allow for this. The only problem is that you may need to overwrite the master boot sector on your first hard-drive, so it might not be easy getting rid of the menu if you get rid linux. Maybe the dos fdisk command for writing the master boot record will fix it, but I''ve never tried it with WinXP.

Hate to ask, but where can I find info on how to do this? I Googled, but just found virus info. Thanks again, I really do appreciate it.

~del
~del
check out http://www.linuxdoc.org

There are tons of docs on there about Linux, and the now infamous collection of linux HOWTO's

Stu M

[edited by - Stuart Miller on December 12, 2002 12:11:00 PM]
quick search on Google found this:

http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux/grub-w2k-HOWTO.html

+ many other results.

The search I used was:

xp + linux + dual boot

Goodluck!

Stu M
Thanks a mil for the FAST responses :-) Both sites are GREAT. Now, just gotta get that hard drive at Christmas...

~del
~del
I have windows 98, and im going to get a new hard drive. i am going to put linux on it, but i dont know how to boot between them(Dual boot).

how do you?

My head speaks a language i dont understand.
You should listen to me, im 'Special'.Or so my physiatrist said.
Every linux distro I''ve ever tried installs either LILO or GRUB (bootloaders), and upon installation of linux, it detects that you have Windows running on your computer, and so will add an entry for it, that way you can run either or. It''s really rather simple.
does ''SuSE Linux 8.1 Personal'' have one of them on? it doesnt say on amazon.co.uk!

My head speaks a language i dont understand.
You should listen to me, im 'Special'.Or so my physiatrist said.
quote:Original post by rotos
Original post by Del Snd of Thndr
I have a similar question. I''m thinking about buying a second hard drive (don''t wanna mess w/ hard drive w/ xp pro), and I was wondering if there is some way to set up a boot prompt asking me which hard drive to boot from. Anybody know how??? ( I hope it''s possible…) Thanks in advance.

~del

The Linux boot loader will allow for this. The only problem is that you may need to overwrite the master boot sector on your first hard-drive, so it might not be easy getting rid of the menu if you get rid linux. Maybe the dos fdisk command for writing the master boot record will fix it, but I''ve never tried it with WinXP.

for win2k "fdisk /mbr" fixes the problem and as winxp is mainly win2k plus more colors / less performance…

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement