• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chentzilla

Russia: What do you know about it?

This topic is 5301 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Just don''t be surprised. The following poll was made to know what non-Russian people think of Russia. Based on this info, we are going to develop games for foreign people having the "Russian flavor" they (I mean you) anticipate. Don''t ask me if and how it would work - it wasn''t my idea. · What do you know about Russia if to recollect within 10 seconds? · What Russian scientific achievements do you know? (famous scientists, inventions, space exploration, chemistry, physics and so-so forth) · What do you know about Russian military affairs? (weapons, famous military operations, famous military squads) · What do you know about Russian geography? (cities, animals, nature) · What is most interesting in Russian history for you? (events, wars, personalities) · What do you know about Russian culture? (monuments, museums, art, fashion, music, mythology, habits, religion) · What do you know about Russian literature? (Russian books, which impressed you most of all; characters, poetry) · Russian sport (events, personalities etc) · Russian TV, movies, cartoons (most impressive movies, actors, anchors) If you are able to recollect something not mentioned in the above questions, please, don’t hesitate to write – each your idea is highly anticipated and interesting for us. Thank you in advance for your cooperation!

Advertisement
OK 10 second summary of russia: used to be a huge monstrous communist country, now split into a smaller country. Was main opponent in US''s cold war affairs, ally in other wars. Uhh...they have nukes, hell they had the biggest nuclear (hydrogen) detonation. Chernobyl, Kierov (is that the submarine''s name?) and other little badly administrated mishaps.

Scientific achivements: First dog, first monkey, first woman, first orbital sattelite, and some others related to that. They built basically a copy of the US space shuttle, but ran out of funding (as did the rest of the Soviet Union) so it was never put to use.

Rusissian geography: North is cold.. very very cold. They had Siberia up there, where they sent civilians that they didn''t like or people living in towns they went through. That was all stalin.

Famous military squad: KJB
Living under russian rule during stalin''s time meant being watched all the time, everything you do and say. You couldn''t have any opinions on politics besides what they told you to say. Anything else and your dead or sent to Siberia (same thing)

Weapons: AK-47, the most widely used assualt rifle in the world I believe.

Thats it for now

quote:
First dog, first monkey, first woman, first orbital sattelite, and some others related to that

Russia had the first ever dog, monkey, and woman?!! Sorry couldn''t resist.

Guest Anonymous Poster

quote:

Russia had the first ever dog, monkey, and woman?!! Sorry couldn''t resist.

And only nation to put a tourist in space.

quote:
Original post by Chentzilla
· What do you know about Russian military affairs?
I know we kicked your ass at Narva 1700 (8 vs 80 thousand) and had a slaugther party at Poltava a morning in 1709 were we killed some 1,500 russians and they killed about 7,000 swedes.

who made the world''s first complete periodic table? Dmitri I. Mendeleev!

who developed equations on reflections of electromagnetic waves, that were used to develop stealth aircraft? Pyotr Ufimtsev!

who made the first fusion reactor, TOKAMAK? Tamm and Sakharov!

That question is nearly as big as Russia!

In 10 seconds: cold, vodka, Communist(ex), Moscow, Siberia, caviar, tea...

and to continue: Sputnik, Soyuz, AK-47, MiG, Battle of Stalingrad, St. Petersburg, Lenin, Trotsky, Stalin, Kruschev, Gorbachev, Yeltsin, Putin, the Tsars, Rasputin, the Kremlin, Tchaikovsky, Prokofiev, Shostakovich, Schnittke, Tolstoy, Nabokov, Dostoevsky, "Crime and Punishment", "The Brothers Karamozov" ...

"Beautiful maiden," answered Candide, "when a man is in love, is jealous, and has been flogged by the Inquisition, he becomes lost to all reflection."

Oh, and then we (eh, you) have Alexander Popov! Greatest of swimmers, and still holds the WR in 50 free (lc) and 100 free (sc).

I'm actually studying Russia in Social Studies (9). I recently saw a biography on Nicholas and Alexandra (the last crowned Tsar and Tsarista of Russia), which was very interesting but poorly organized. As we have just started the unit, I know very little about Russia, so I can pretty much summerize in point form:

Please note that the book from which we are learning is rather old, and focuses more on the former U.S.S.R.

• Russia spans two continents, Europe and Asia. The majority of the population is on the European side.
  • There are over 100 different cultural groups in Russia.
  • Newspapers are more "common" than tv, radio or telephone.
  • Nicholas, Alexandra and their family were violently killed in 1918. Their death was somewhat of a mystery during the mid to late 1900's.

That's all I can remember at the moment. Russia is a very interesting country, and I think many more people should be aware of it's past and present.

EDIT: Oh, I believe War and Peace was written by Russian Leo Tolstoy

¬_¬

[edited by - Fuzztrek on December 6, 2002 9:52:21 PM]

hehe, you know so much :D
but u all forgot about war in chechnya, perestroika, gorbachev pushkin and many many more
p.s. i''m from moscow

This topic is 5301 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.