• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Russia: What do you know about it?

This topic is 5030 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Just don''t be surprised. The following poll was made to know what non-Russian people think of Russia. Based on this info, we are going to develop games for foreign people having the "Russian flavor" they (I mean you) anticipate. Don''t ask me if and how it would work - it wasn''t my idea. · What do you know about Russia if to recollect within 10 seconds? · What Russian scientific achievements do you know? (famous scientists, inventions, space exploration, chemistry, physics and so-so forth) · What do you know about Russian military affairs? (weapons, famous military operations, famous military squads) · What do you know about Russian geography? (cities, animals, nature) · What is most interesting in Russian history for you? (events, wars, personalities) · What do you know about Russian culture? (monuments, museums, art, fashion, music, mythology, habits, religion) · What do you know about Russian literature? (Russian books, which impressed you most of all; characters, poetry) · Russian sport (events, personalities etc) · Russian TV, movies, cartoons (most impressive movies, actors, anchors) If you are able to recollect something not mentioned in the above questions, please, don’t hesitate to write – each your idea is highly anticipated and interesting for us. Thank you in advance for your cooperation!

Advertisement
OK 10 second summary of russia: used to be a huge monstrous communist country, now split into a smaller country. Was main opponent in US''s cold war affairs, ally in other wars. Uhh...they have nukes, hell they had the biggest nuclear (hydrogen) detonation. Chernobyl, Kierov (is that the submarine''s name?) and other little badly administrated mishaps.

Scientific achivements: First dog, first monkey, first woman, first orbital sattelite, and some others related to that. They built basically a copy of the US space shuttle, but ran out of funding (as did the rest of the Soviet Union) so it was never put to use.

Rusissian geography: North is cold.. very very cold. They had Siberia up there, where they sent civilians that they didn''t like or people living in towns they went through. That was all stalin.

Famous military squad: KJB
Living under russian rule during stalin''s time meant being watched all the time, everything you do and say. You couldn''t have any opinions on politics besides what they told you to say. Anything else and your dead or sent to Siberia (same thing)

Weapons: AK-47, the most widely used assualt rifle in the world I believe.

Thats it for now

quote:
First dog, first monkey, first woman, first orbital sattelite, and some others related to that

Russia had the first ever dog, monkey, and woman?!! Sorry couldn''t resist.

Guest Anonymous Poster

quote:

Russia had the first ever dog, monkey, and woman?!! Sorry couldn''t resist.

And only nation to put a tourist in space.

quote:
Original post by Chentzilla
· What do you know about Russian military affairs?
I know we kicked your ass at Narva 1700 (8 vs 80 thousand) and had a slaugther party at Poltava a morning in 1709 were we killed some 1,500 russians and they killed about 7,000 swedes.

who made the world''s first complete periodic table? Dmitri I. Mendeleev!

who developed equations on reflections of electromagnetic waves, that were used to develop stealth aircraft? Pyotr Ufimtsev!

who made the first fusion reactor, TOKAMAK? Tamm and Sakharov!

That question is nearly as big as Russia!

In 10 seconds: cold, vodka, Communist(ex), Moscow, Siberia, caviar, tea...

and to continue: Sputnik, Soyuz, AK-47, MiG, Battle of Stalingrad, St. Petersburg, Lenin, Trotsky, Stalin, Kruschev, Gorbachev, Yeltsin, Putin, the Tsars, Rasputin, the Kremlin, Tchaikovsky, Prokofiev, Shostakovich, Schnittke, Tolstoy, Nabokov, Dostoevsky, "Crime and Punishment", "The Brothers Karamozov" ...

"Beautiful maiden," answered Candide, "when a man is in love, is jealous, and has been flogged by the Inquisition, he becomes lost to all reflection."

Oh, and then we (eh, you) have Alexander Popov! Greatest of swimmers, and still holds the WR in 50 free (lc) and 100 free (sc).

I'm actually studying Russia in Social Studies (9). I recently saw a biography on Nicholas and Alexandra (the last crowned Tsar and Tsarista of Russia), which was very interesting but poorly organized. As we have just started the unit, I know very little about Russia, so I can pretty much summerize in point form:

Please note that the book from which we are learning is rather old, and focuses more on the former U.S.S.R.

• Russia spans two continents, Europe and Asia. The majority of the population is on the European side.
  • There are over 100 different cultural groups in Russia.
  • Newspapers are more "common" than tv, radio or telephone.
  • Nicholas, Alexandra and their family were violently killed in 1918. Their death was somewhat of a mystery during the mid to late 1900's.

That's all I can remember at the moment. Russia is a very interesting country, and I think many more people should be aware of it's past and present.

EDIT: Oh, I believe War and Peace was written by Russian Leo Tolstoy

¬_¬

[edited by - Fuzztrek on December 6, 2002 9:52:21 PM]

hehe, you know so much :D
but u all forgot about war in chechnya, perestroika, gorbachev pushkin and many many more
p.s. i''m from moscow

Thanks everyone!
It doesn''t mean the survey is over - if any of you haven''t answered yet, please don''t hesitate to leave your opinion.

AzzKickr: Oh, what a knowledge from a compatriot! If only it was supported by knowledge of proper capitalization and spelling of "you", it would be even more amazing.

Gorby, 20 million deaths in WWII, primitive looking experimental aircraft, Dr. Zhivago, funny roofs on buildings, ruthless KGB agents, ridiculous poorly built automobiles, people standing in line for bread, cold snow, overcast skies, Vodka, government run airline, smuggled western goods, gigantic space launch facilities, tapped phone lines, Yeltsin, Andropov, Lenin, Stalin, pushing back the Nazis...

Okay, here goes:

- Yuri Gagarin
- er... Stalin
- Forward thinking tech projects (see "Russia Proposes Manned Mars mission by 2015" http://www.newscientist.com/hottopics/tech/article.jsp?id=99992511&sub=Aviation%20and%20Aerospace)
- From my own experience; I think in the UK we don''t really know much about Russian culture.
- Mmmm... Submarines, AK47''s, cold winters, vodka, diamond mining
- When I look at the map, Russia looks huge - Considering that I know little about it, I wonder whats in all that space!
- First commercial space flight! (Thanks for that :-) )
- Zangief
- The Kremlin
- Spies in General ^_^
- Bond films (From Russia with Love, anyone?)

What kind of Internet bandwidth do you guys get?

Well, you were after "first impression" responses and thats all we can think of for now, so I guess I''d best leave it at that.

Really looking forward to Echelon 2 guys :-) *Loved* the ship design in the first one! How about controllable ground units too (tanks, mechs etc- would add a whole new dimension).

- Darkmoon & Karma

--------------------
Hard work often pays off later in life. Laziness always pays of now.
--------------------

Guest Anonymous Poster
Trying it all quickly off the top of my head. Hope this helps.

What do you know about Russia if to recollect within 10 seconds?

revolution, communism, army

· What Russian scientific achievements do you know? (famous scientists, inventions, space exploration, chemistry, physics and so-so forth)

first living being in space (Laika), first human there too.
Weapons (nukes et al). Mendeleiev. Pavlov (unsure if he was Russian though). Probably many others during the cold war that were unknown due to the US being the big enemy. One of the only nation to have space rockets (though there are more and more now) and a reusable space shuttle (Buran).

· What do you know about Russian military affairs? (weapons, famous military operations, famous military squads)

All out imperialism, trying to out-imperialish the US. Warsaw pact. Financing of communist parties in various countries. Lots of proxy wars with the other big one

· What do you know about Russian geography? (cities, animals, nature)

Huge, spanning something like 10 time zones. Northern is Siberia (home of the goulags), south are the Islamic republics, many of which are trying to get independence. Capital Moskva, big cities Kiev, Vladivostok.

· What is most interesting in Russian history for you? (events, wars, personalities)

Like all, origin in violence. Slavs said to be poetic, probably for having spawned litterature and poesy in the ancient times, though don''t know. Bolshevik revolution, and fall of USSR 70 years afterwards. Typical rise and fall of an Empire, like so many before it. Violence (Czar) begets violence (Stalin).

· What do you know about Russian culture? (monuments, museums, art, fashion, music, mythology, habits, religion)

Not much at all. Some specific string instruments. Balalaika. Nothing more.

· What do you know about Russian literature? (Russian books, which impressed you most of all; characters, poetry)

I haven''t ready any, but heard of some. Solyenitsin (sp?). I can''t remember the others just now.

· Russian sport (events, personalities etc)

Plenty of people, so easy to shine. As for their archrival, shining was of poilitical significance. Good at stuff like swimming, football (soccer for the archrivals). They had a pretty impressive weightlifter (Alexi something...). Dunno if you put it into sports, but chess. A lot of the best were Russians. So much that the US thought Bobbby Fisher was a Rusian spy!

· Russian TV, movies, cartoons (most impressive movies, actors, anchors)

Dunno, sorry.

Everything you guys said...

L. L. Zamehof..

He was Polish, but he published his book on Esperanto in Russian back in 1887 .

Short story:

Esperanto began as the brainchild of Lazarus Ludovik Zamenhof, who lived in the town of Bialystok in Poland. The town was divided between Poles, Jews, Russians and Germans, who, of course, all spoke their own language. Young Lazarus would see bloody fighting in the streets as he looked out of his window.
When he was older he went to a school in Warsaw, and made himself known as Ludovik, to hide his Jewishness for fear of discrimination. He studied languages, as well as sciences, and set to work on his Lingwe Uniwersale. He got a small group of school friends together to converse in the new tongue.

When he went to college, his father felt he was spending too much time on this language project, and burned all his papers. Very little now remains of this Pra-Esperanto, as it is now known. But Ludovik started again, and probably did a much better job second time around.

He published the first book on this new language in 1887 under the pseudonym Dr Esperanto (Esper-ant-o - one who hopes), the name which was very soon to be given to the language itself.

http://esperanto.org/espviva/ev_en/utf-8/unik/index.html

Guest Anonymous Poster
Darkmoon_UK: "What kind of Internet bandwidth do you guys get?"
===
Eh... What''s Internet?

I believe there are 150 million people in russia.

They had good athlets during the cold war I think.

Their women use too much makeup.

What I know about Russia

1) Its cold there. Especially this time of year.
2) They speak Russian there. Or Polish...
3) They like their submarines
4) Thats about it, really...

#Old Steve, he said to Xerox "Boys, turn your heads and cough"
And when no-one was looking he ripped their interfaces off#
Three Dead Trolls in a Baggie on the truth behind MacOS 1

SketchSoft | SketchNews

After plaiying through GoldenEye64, me and my friend have deduced that Russia has crimson red skys at night.... scary place to be.

Other than Communism though, I know nothing more of Russia.

"You TK''ed my chicken!"

motha Russia will one day regain its former glory...and then u American pigs will pay!!! ...MHAHaahahahaha

anyways, before the communist revolution, russia was the biggest, most powerful, and amongst the most technologically advanced countries in the world... common guys, the kinder garden kids down there are doing university level math. If it wasn''t for a misfortunet turn of events in russia''s history, the world might have bean a much better place... be it "better" on another continent

NOTE: Most of the following answers are spanish "clichés" of Russia, and probably has be created by films:

-> What do you know about Russia if to recollect within 10 seconds?
Vodka, Tetris, Science, Cold (and corresponding clothes), Beautiful blonde, intelligent (and sometimes evil) womans.
-> What Russian scientific achievements do you know?
Very important scientifics formed in Russia, but out of founds
-> What do you know about Russian military affairs?
They won against Germany at the 2nd World War. They have nuclear bombs; but it''s seem less important than american, indian and mid-east countries than also have them.
Russians are the "bad guys" and almost all films.
-> What do you know about Russian geography?
Huge country, tundra. Mainly small/medium size towns.
-> What is most interesting in Russian history for you?
Old history: Rasputin. Recent History: Landing of a plane in the "Plaza Roja" (Red Place? not sure)
-> What do you know about Russian culture?
Kremlin, Tchaikovsy, CCCP (not sure what CCCP stands for, but in spain "CCCP" is asociated with male coral music), T.A.T.U.
Rrrussians speak prrronouncing a lot the "r"s and wrrrite that "r"s mirrrorrred.
"Filetes rusos" (Russian fillets? I''m not sure this meal would be really from Russia)
-> What do you know about Russian literature?
Tolstoi.
-> Russian sport
Navratilova in Tennis.
-> Russian TV, movies, cartoons
Just really old ones: Potemkin (Bernstein) and thinks like that. I don''t know recent Russian productions.

theNestruo

Syntax error in 2410
Ok

CCCP is Russian for USSR

Russian C sounds same as English S
Russian P sounds same as English R

Guest Anonymous Poster
Russia brainstorm:

Soviet Union
Ivan the Terrible
Siberia
Battle of Stalingrad
T-34
Mig-15
St.Petersburg
Moscow
WW2
Tzars and Empires
Communism
Cold War
KGB
Stalin
Tolstoy
Lev Yashin
Cosmanauts
Uri Gegarin
Lenin
Perestroika
Vladivostok
Hunt for Red October
War and Peace
Revolution
Spartak Moscow
Trans-Siberia Railroad
Dr Zhivago
Poverty
Anna Kournikova
Marit Safin
Novgorod
Hanseatic League
Nuclear Holocaust
Igor Titov

Hope it helps,
Alex

Yet another revival of a post 8 months old...

This topic is 5030 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.