Russia: What do you know about it?

Started by
45 comments, last by Chentzilla 19 years, 11 months ago
quote:
And only nation to put a tourist in space.

Only nation to put an African in space
Advertisement
I'm American, though I live in India, so I could tell you a few things that I like to think of as non-American-tainted (I've hardly ever lived in America, and visit 1 month out of the year). Anyway, America DOES have anti-russian movies and books, I've studied MANY of them in History class. You have to realize, however, that they don't EXPLICITY state "Russia is bad" (at least most don't), but portray it. Take for example "Red Dawn" where Russia is portrayed as invading the US and taking over the country. Of course (it's made in the US of A), a small group of Americans manage to break the entire Soviet army into pieces and they liberate their country.... *shakes head* Anyway, Russia has supplied India with weapons for many many years, just as the US was the 'paternal figure' to the European countries for a time. The AK-47 is OLD! Allegedly, the KGB (I saw KJB back there a while, don't get it) trained terrorists throughout the 1970's including the infamous Bekaa Valley (<- that's a place btw). Supposedly they trained most of Europe's terrorists including some P/IRA, but THAT'S just speculation. Hmm... They have the longest continuous-train ride in the world, with is scheduled to take over a week. They're language is AWESOME! I have a whole lot of Russian/Romanian/-stan friends, and it's a very cool language, VERY different to our Latin based language. And I don't think Russians are the best swearers, Arabic is by far (IMHO) the most 'hostile' language I've encountered... Shlonac? Xen xen... It's not the easiest thing to write in the supposedly Arabic alphabet Oh yeah, and Russia and the US fought THROUGH Korea in 1950 (oddly named The Korean War ) which has led straight to the current conflict of North vs South.

Chris Pergrossi
My Realm | "Good Morning, Dave"

[edited by - c t o a n on August 1, 2003 2:28:38 AM]
Chris PergrossiMy Realm | "Good Morning, Dave"
Tetris!
Let's see...

The Final ruling Romav Family was ordered executed by the Leninists when the Greens were advancing too closely to the home they were being held captive at in Siberia (I think Siberia, don't remember for sure) primarily out of fear of the family being freed. The male heir's bones have never been found, and there is considerable controversy that suggests the Alexis was kept alive by Lenin in case his future governmental developments didn't succeed.

Alexis Romanov suffered from a debilitating disease most commonly believed to be Hemophilia, a self-proclaimed Holy man (referred to as a Staretz) named Grigori Rasputin appeared to be able to heal the boy, which in turn allowed him great advances in the political household by having strong control over the boys German Mother Alexandria

Southern most point of Russia is on the same parallel as Minneapolis

Russian history is plagued by social difficulty regarding a lack of general identity, much of it is spent trying to determine if Russia is European or Asian, or something wholly different.

Ivan the Terrible sat in the middle of the town where his wife was murdered surrounded by people being tortured for it for a couple of weeks.

Peter the Great identified the country as an Empire, and became Tsar, or Czar ( from Caesar)

Russia has every major climate and geographic land type with only the exception of tropical.

Siberia is a very beautiful place for roughly one half of the year

The Railways are extensive throughout the country, and at one time allowed one of the worlds most successful serial killers to pick up his victims. (I think the total dead was 52, it took something like 10 years to catch him) The finding of this man was considerably hindered by beaurocracy of the Soviet Communist Government.

The Red Elvises are Russian.

My first assembly book was written by Russians.

The Russian army pushed back napolean and eventually marched on Paris. Only a few years later, the army was decimated by the Japanese, Austrians, and everyone else.

The capital was moved to St. Petersburg for quite sometime. St. Petersburg is a very beautiful place that was built on what is essentially a swamp and is sinking.

That's all I remember for now. I also take no responsiblity for factual errors, it's been a long time since I've followed anything Russian.

[edited by - Wain13 on August 1, 2003 3:00:08 AM]

[edited by - Wain13 on August 1, 2003 3:00:38 AM]
· What do you know about Russia if to recollect within 10 seconds?

Karl Marx: Marx joined the Young Hegelians at University, where he was first introduced to left-wing politics. With the first draft of his manifesto in hand, Marx approached a group of German emigrees and convinced them to take up the Communist ideal.

Hockey stuff (below)

Cold War (below)

· What Russian scientific achievements do you know? (famous scientists, inventions, space exploration, chemistry, physics and so-so forth)
· What do you know about Russian military affairs? (weapons, famous military operations, famous military squads)

The massacre at the Winter Palace, the following rebellions... the famous fight in the mountains against the Nazis in which they basically decimated them.

· What do you know about Russian geography? (cities, animals, nature)

Uhm... mountains on the left guarded the country from the Nazi invasion... several cities renamed because of political affiliation to leaders who were rather unpleasant.

· What is most interesting in Russian history for you? (events, wars, personalities)

Spies during the Cold War. Sir Roger Hollis, once the head of MI6, was heavily accussed of being a Russian spy. Several other high-profile members of Britain''s counter-intelligence community were also proven spies. I can''t remember their names right now.
Many spies in Cold War times can be attributed to the Oxford Ring. In the 30''s and 40''s, homosexuality was something that could get you killed. Several research proffs and students at Oxford and other institutions were blackmailed with proof of their hidden life, and thus began turning over secrets on technology being worked on at the universities (a common way to do research in war time).
The Frogman Episode, the tunnel thing and the sheer brilliant misleading of the Brits by the Russians who planted "informant" Golovko also leap to mind. His information about supposed sources, code-named Top Hat and Fedora, led the Brits astray for many a year.

· What do you know about Russian culture? (monuments, museums, art, fashion, music, mythology, habits, religion)

The Kremlin I guess... the Winter Palace...

· What do you know about Russian literature? (Russian books, which impressed you most of all; characters, poetry)

The Manifesto is on my to-do list to read... as is the Devil and Margarita

· Russian sport (events, personalities etc)

Hocke is what I know best.

Current day NHL stars are Bure, Federov, Dastyuk and Khabibulan

The Red Army hockey team was home of the insanely talented KLM line, the combo of linemates Igor Larionov and Sergei Makarov. Goaltender Vladislav Tretiak ruled in net.

In the Summit Series, orchestrated by Allen Eagleson, (the only person to resign from the Hockey Hall of Fame) Canada''s best faced Russia''s best. Lafleur, Dryden and Mahovlich played against a squad led by the KLM line and Tretiak. Little-known Maple Leaf Paul Henderson scored the winner in Game 8 to win the Series. Henderson never did anything else notable the rest of his career.
well, to summerize the result!

The nominies for the BIGGEST IDIOTS ARE:
neurokaotix
Nypyren
and many more to come...
the rest... are smart. mentalstatement,- completely agree with u. Remeber my name: Tim Vasko, i will rule the world, and lead russian army to destroy US of A. Im from Ukraine, Kiev And if i start listing all the crap i know, i might as well stop before i even start (way too much) but if u wanna know specifics, e-mail me at no_name_is@hotmail.com Im ukrainian, but Im cool with all ye moscals out thar making games

Watch out USa. Its gonna get messy.

Rusia has like the most awesomest education eVer!!! What i was learning in 10th grade in US, i already learned in 7th grade, and had enough time to forget. I went to a.. uh... Litsey (Lyceum) with Advanced Mathematics... school# 142.

Ya da hell am i telling u my biography?

Hell im stupid! but i will still rule the world. And all of u who listed more than Vodka, Kalashnikov, and cold, Communism, and Stalin, Lenin are very SMART!! Congrats.

Tim
In soviet russia, 2 year old threads resurrect you!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement