• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Freaker13

Isometric engine d3d8

This topic is 5733 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, I''m writing an isometric engine with d3d8 but all tutorials i found are about dx7. Is here someone who knows a tutorial(or source code) for isometric engines (or just a usual tile engine) with dx8? thx, Freaker13

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
hi there.

well, iam not an DX expert, but i think you have the DX8 SDK on your harddrive. so where is the problem? in the tutorials you see the functions to initialize DX, set the viewport, etc... The "same" functions are listed in the DX8 SDK documentation.
just change the function calls according to the documentation.

and if you''re not able to change function calls from DX7 to DX8, i would suggest you shall use a simple scripting language...

regards,
- Christoph -

It depends on how you want to you your isometric engine in DirectX 8. Are you going to use Direct3D 8 as "real 3D", eg. to initialize a normal 3D landscape and then to set the camera to look isometric? Or are you going to use D3D8 to create a "2D" engine with enhanced futures (rotation etc.), which you then can use to derive into normal isometric programming? If you prefer to use the second method this article is what I recommend (I made my own 2D engine with it):

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article1434.asp

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!