Jim's Soundcore question? cSoundData?

Started by
5 comments, last by Paladin__ 21 years, 4 months ago
I grabbed the latest code from the site and it seems that the cSoundData is missing. I have a game I''m doing and I''m trying to just play wav files with his code. I went to the old sound code, and the sound plays like it should, but there''s a popping sound between when it plays. If I play it outside of the program, the sound is clean. Any ideas? Anyone mess with the sound core? Is there a new way to play wav files with the new code? Much greatness is achieved thru perseverance and faith.
Much greatness is achieved thru perseverance and faith.
Advertisement
It was switched out because too many systems were having trouble with it (mainly Win2K/XP systems). It seems Microsoft changed the deal with threads in the new OSs and the stream doesn''t work as great. MS even changed their DX samples to not use threads for sound playing. There are ways to fix it, first by adding a call to update the sounds inside your message pump.

I went ahead and added sound playing functionality to the music classes Pal - you might want to download the Tower''s new WinMain.cpp and see how that now uses the music core to play sounds.

Thanks Jim, I''m going to give that a shot.

btw Jim, You mentioned awhile back on having an update to some issues that people had found in the code. Any idea of an eta on that?

I had to put that on hold until the new book is ready. Should be about the start of the year I hope. I should have a new web page, the new DX9 Game Core, and hopefully some new sample code.

sweet! I can''t wait. (Can''t wait for your new book either )

AHH your writing a new book Jim?

Where can I pre-order it, I''ve never been so happy with a book before as I have with your RPG book. Sweet lord.

By the way I have a voodoo5500 graphics card will I be able to develop for DX9 with an outdated card like that?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement