• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DVDs to replace CDs as data mediums for games?

This topic is 5552 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve been thinking about getting games written to DVD format since you can hold at least twice as much information of a CD on one DVD disk. In theory, I beleive it''s possable to do since all code boils down to just 1s and 0s, but I''m not a programmer. So, what do you think? Can it be done? And if so how?

Advertisement
Yes, there are already games/applications on DVD. However at the moment DVDs are not being adopted by end users as fast as CDs where. Back when CDROM was coming in people where both buying CDROMs with new systems *and* upgrading their old systems with them (by buying expensive "multimedia" kits that typically had a CDROM, Soundcard, speakers and microphone). Today most people are not upgrading to DVD, just buying DVD with new computers (and even then it''s not 100%, many systems are bundled with CD-RWs or budget 48X CD drives). Combined with the fact that many people are keeping their computers longer (most are content with their 500mhz for web browsing) it means it will be several years before DVD only games are widespread (at the moment there are only a handful of "6 CD or 1 DVD" style games out)

Do you mean yourself or the industry?
You are right, it is just 1s and 0s, so it is feasible.
The main problem is, do you really want to do this?
Contrary to what a lot of people think, not all gamers have up to date computers. Windows 95 is still a very popular OS, even though it technically hasn''t been supported in a couple of years.
So besides the alienation of some gamers when you make a 3D game using hardware only rendering (some people don''t have new video cards), you would only further that division down when you require the customers/users to have DVD-ROMS as well. Most people are perfectly happy with a CD-ROM.
I think that is the main reason why DVD-ROMS haven''t been as popular.
Another reason might be that most games are really small .exe files with large data files. Even those with large 500MB .exe files are really just .exe files with the data appended.
So using multiple CDs are still easier than trying to push a new media format.
With the consoles using DVD-like media, I can see in the future that CDs will be replaced. Who knows how long though?

I was just thinking that most computers sold today that include a DVD-ROM are being sold for the same price now as the Windows 95 systems used to be sold for.

I''ve been reading about MMORPG theory and you at least only need a server and a client computer set up. However, what if part of the code on the client computer helped out with the code on the server, by acting like a second in command.

I''m talking about using DVD as a way to put a 5 gig game on a computer. That would alow for more graphics, AI, and a bigger game core. I figure that by the time such a game is developed for DVD that DVD will be a popular format.

Well I don''t know about putting a 5 gig game on my computer, and maybe that''s part of the reason DVDs haven''t been adopted yet. True, hard drive capacities are increasing to 150GB and beyond, but those drives aren''t common-place yet - vendors are still hawking the 20 - 60 GB range. Like it or not 5 gigs is a lot of space. On the flipside DVD read speeds have improved a lot since they came out - I beleive we''re up to 18x now. (note that I think a 1x transfer rate for a DVD is almost twice that of a CD-ROM, I know it''s definetly greater). So perhaps we can keep more of the game data on the disc to save the user some hard drive space. It''s the old full- or part-install regime I know, just don''t make it so that it *has* to be on disk to run properly (fast enough).

Drew Sikora
A.K.A. Gaiiden

ICQ #: 70449988
AOLIM: DarkPylat

Blade Edge Software
Staff Member, GDNet
Public Relations, Game Institute

3-time Contributing author, Game Design Methods , Charles River Media
Online column - Design Corner at Pixelate

Unnoficial IGDA chat! [polaris.starchat.net -> #igda]
NJ IGDA Chapter - NJ developers unite!! [Chapter Home | Chapter Forum]

"Real programmers don''t work from 9 to 5. If any real programmers are around at 9am it''s because they were up all night."
-Anon.

"It''s not the size of the source that matters, it''s how you use it"
- Self

Needless to say, it''s people like us that hold the future of gaming in our hands. Also, we hold the future of computer sales.
Let''s say that the gaming world does away with the CD format or just includes it with the DVD version (wich by the way will have a better grapics display and supports more sound options ect. than the CD) as a promotional deal. That would encourage many people to by DVD players for thier PC''s but they wouldn''t nesicarily have to buy it. It would be like when we were switching over from floppy disks to CDs. If anything, miliary members will be the first ones to buy it, and could provide a strong government sale for programs. Unfortunatly, I believe your right though about DVD for now. They need to come up with a new data storage format that is better than DVD but just as popular before they will change over to DVD. I bet that even though at one time we did have CDs as the best format, many of us were still useing old 3-inch floppies.

Of course DVD''s will be common place for data storage of games etc. it is only a matter of cost of production vs take up... and it''s nearly there on both counts.

Many computer magazines (especially game magazines) come with (at least an option) of DVD cover disks - no one doubts that they are a better medium than cd''s... you can store about 5x as much info on a single disk - the biggest problem with the adoption to DVD''s at the moment, is that it''ll still be cheaper to distribute games/applications that are on about 3-4 cd''s or less (even with the added packaging costs), on cd''s rather than dvd''s - and while cd players are everywhere, dvd players are not... so why would anyone distribute their games on dvd''s as opposed to cd''s at the moment? (especially considering all dvd players are backwards compatible and play cd''s anyway... not only are they producing it cheaper, they''re also not excluding any potential customers).

So, until it becomes cheaper to distribute a 2-3 cd game/application via dvd, I doubt you''ll see a change... there are just no economic advantages in it, and companies will be excluding themselves from potential sales for no viable reason.

Also - DVD transfer speeds are approximately 4x that of CD''s - so an 18x DVD player, is approximately equal to a 72x CD player... this however is still a long way short of transfer rates from hard drives - which is why most games need full installs.

I think that the day that DVD''s are a standard for PC games is the EXACT same day everyone has broadband internet -- not gonna happen any time soon. And I agree with the others, most people don''t want to go out and spend $100 on a video card, another $100 on a DVD-ROM (not to mention installing it...), and then about $40 on the game itself -- all to be "up-to-date". Then, to play anything that online that has been made in the past year, you need an extra 128mb of ram(on top of the 128-256mb standard), and broadband. I think that brings us up to an assload of money (about $300, assuming 128 mb ddr). Then $30-75 a month for broadband.....

Not a lot of 13-18 year olds (the gaming industry''s leading buyers) can simply go "Mom, Dad, I love you. Can I have $300 to update the computer, then $50 a month for high-speed internet access", and get $300. I know I can''t.

Not to mention old-ass processors (but hey, that old 300mz is still good for some stuff!)

It''''d make our lives a hell of a lot easier

Hey I''m so excited i''m getting broadband on monday!! It''s like an early christmass. Ahh I can''t wait Anyway..

I agree with the above posters, since DVD can carry much more information and transfer at a faster rate it might replace cd''s soon. But what about the flash disks? Those are much faster then DVD''s and CD''s they transfer much quicker and hold about 500mb''s.(for those who don''t know what the flash diskette''s are, they are the little tiny disk''s that come with lots of digital devices i.e. digital camera) Once those are capable of storing more data more people will want them instead of DVD/CD.

Do you guys remeber ZIP Drives? I think that is the biggest joke ever, I also think it was one of the most succesful marketing schemes in a while. I don''t know how ZIP drives ever got popular, oh well cheers Iomega.

Regardless I believe that flash media will replace DVD''s and CD''s in the near future. If I knew anything about the market I''d put my stock in that.

I''d say that DVDs will replace both CDs and VHS videos...eventually.

Right now, DVD-R and DVD-RW drives are very expensive, and people enjoy writing CDs, so they won''t switch to DVDs. Also, portable DVD players aren''t as widespread as portable CD players, so you can''t listen to music on the go with DVDs.

My Guess is this:

1) DVD-R/DVD-RW drives fall in price.
2) DVD player makers put DVD-RW drives in thir players, so they become recordable like VHS

3) VHS is gone. DVDs are widely used for home movies.

4) Simultainusly, More and more computers ship with DVD-R/DVD-RW drives.

5) DVDs take over. people will still use CDs, but they become kinda like floppy disks now.

6) They come out with the next thing, and CDs become like the 3x5 Floppy (literily) disks.

7) This whole thing continues in an upward spirial so that we get more and more memory, and the next thing you know, 1.5mb Floppy disks won;t hold a .txt file, but that won''t matter because nobody but history freaks have heard about those.

Don''t forget that when VHS is phased out, the DVD recordables will only work for selected television programs.
For some reason, just because it is digital, those transmissions that anyone can access end up becoming issues of copyright.
Copyprotection will be attempted, and no matter how weak it is, the DMCA will prevent anyone from legally circumventing it. This will prevent people from "taping" those programs legally.
So now the freedom of taping something to watch later (time shifting) has been removed.
Yay DMCA.

I think it''s a question of price really. look at the PC gamer mag it''s more expensive for the DVD version because they cost more to produce but saying that it comes with a lot more stuff than the cd version of the mag but for £1 more.

I started with a point not sure what happened to it..

quote:
Original post by issch
DVD''s are used for games already!
Just about all PS2 games use DVD''s

Yeah, and (mostly) with acceptable loading times too. I wonder how many CDs GTA Vice City will ship on if it comes out for the PC.

www.bankie.com

• Advertisement