A 3D desktop

Started by
6 comments, last by ex4st 21 years, 4 months ago
I''m sorry if it is not the right forum to post this message but I didn''t know where to post it I would like your comments about this idea. Do you think people would like to use a 3D desktop environment instead of the "classic" Windows one ? Imagine a 3D view of the file explorer, a new kind of window manager (with 3D effects ...), all your icons would be some simple 3D objects that you could organize as you want in a huge world ... I know some tools already exist (for ex : http://www.3dna.net/) but I don''t like them a lot ... a bit too "basic". It could be a nice improvement for the next OS generations, isn''t it ? __________________________
Bruno Wieckowski
Lead Programmer
Exood4 Studios
Advertisement
Cool as that sounds in theory, the most important part of a desktop is to be practical and very fast and easy to use. Technically desktops are already "3d" in the application sense... though only as pieces of virtual paper than can overlap each other and be reshuffled for what you want.

What real gains in terms of practicality, usage speed, and ease of use would a 3D desktop give over a 2D one? I can sort of see it if a screen were a 3D thing, but it''s 2D, so any 3D usage would require movement and translation from the 2D, if it''s anything other than "panelling" multiple screens, which is already done.

-fel
~ The opinions stated by this individual are the opinions of this individual and not the opinions of her company, any organization she might be part of, her parrot, or anyone else. ~
Check out NooFace.com for news and reviews on UI advancement efforts. It appears that 3D desktops are pointless; greater productivity and usability gains can be achieved by reconsidering the internal model (filesystem) and streamlining/refactoring elements of the interaction model (GUI).
I''ve always had a hard time moving objects around in 3D. I would at least need a 3D pointing device. Yes, I know I can wiggle my mouse around in the air, but that doesn''t work

There was some web page i saw somewhere (but i don''t have the link, typical...) where someone made a 3D mouse out of 2 analogue joysticks, a tennis ball and a few bits of string. He had one joystick in the ''normal'' position (on the table, pointign up), and the other at right angles to the table, on a bit of wood. He tied the joysticks to a tennis ball, and attached it to another piece of wood (acting as a roof), and i think, wrote a device driver for it. Never treid it myself, but he said it worked surprisingly well...

Member of the Unban Mindwipe Society (UMWS)
Remember the scene from "Hackers" where they are hacking the GIBSON and they are "flying" around the filesystem, CPU, and (the best one) kernel? I think you should aim for that .

-timiscool999
"I like waffles. Especially with syrup." -me

XBox controller v2.0

click for bigger picture
-timiscool999"I like waffles. Especially with syrup." -me
XBox controller v2.0

click for bigger picture
This idea has been explored for many, many years. As mentioned, the general conclusion is that it is pointless -- or worse: it makes things harder.
Throw some virtual reality into the mix and it would be pretty slick. I saw this website where someone used doom as their xwindows or something like that. Monsters would be different processes and to kill that process, you have to shoot the monster. lol, now that would be cool.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement