A few things that are needed to designe a great game.

Started by
7 comments, last by Warsong 21 years, 4 months ago
Everything to moderation and if your standards are high then everything else should be just as high as a ying and yang. Challenge to give a thrilling rush so it won’t be to easily dull or to annoyingly hard. Have things charted out and say why you should and shouldn’t have something specific. You should have an equal balance of why you should and shouldn't and if you cant find an equal balance then you aren't giving enough thought. Be your worst critic about your game and always find something wrong or not good enough to improve on and when you think its ok let others see it and decide how it is and what it needs. Be a bit up to standards with the latest art, sound, look since Atari graphics don't cut it as a best seller today. (Don't comment on what I say but say what you think should be needed in general in making a game. Also sorry for not giving each an example but if you have something then please give an example.) [edited by - warsong on December 6, 2002 2:14:29 PM]
***Power without perception is useless, which you have the power but can you perceive?"All behavior consists of opposites. Learn to see backward, inside out and upside down."-Lao Tzu,Tao Te Ching Fem Nuts Doom OCR TS Pix mc NRO . .
Advertisement
funding?
Moderation is all well and good, but I''m ALWAYS high up to the yingyang!
quote:Original post by Hase
funding?

time?

- JQ
Full Speed Games. Are back.
~phil
Well yes you need those thing, but to make a good idea for a game, what do you need?
I said a few things but doesn''t anyone else have any other ideas? This is a design forum so any comment about design tips?
***Power without perception is useless, which you have the power but can you perceive?"All behavior consists of opposites. Learn to see backward, inside out and upside down."-Lao Tzu,Tao Te Ching Fem Nuts Doom OCR TS Pix mc NRO . .
If you create a game, create a game like the types of games that you play often and enjoy. If you are a big RPG player, then make an RPG with elements that you like from other games. If you like to play action games, think about what you liked in those action games and try to put those in your game. If you like more than one try to fuse different ideas together. From a creative standpoint, it''s all give and take. That''s how you make a great game. If you don''t have your heart into it, you won''t try to get the funds to support your habit. I''ve been thinking of ways to combine an online fusion of military action games with RTS games. It will be a team-based online game. There is also a way for fusing RTS with the roleplaying elements of an RPG. But it''s mostly give and take, trial and error.
Now I shall systematicly disimboule you with a .... Click here for Project Anime
And where is unlimited 26k land anyway? Can''t find it in my world atlas.
smiley4
Yeah those are some good tips. Also you say an online RTS military action game. I have an idea about that but mostly being tanks in a somewhat maze and you can go to team or solo to get everything form anything and everyone. I have the idea all worked out but haven''t bothered to make it since I don''t know on how to get it started.

To Anonymous Poster
I didn’t put that location I think the moderator likes to play games and edit that I live in New York. I don’t even get what that means.
-----------

Also another thing about making a good game is to have a chart to see in a way. I always like the thing to have 4 options. For instance to have a good guy a bad guy is so typical and lame I think. You should also select something in between to make it more realistic like good/bad in the case that the good wants to do good but does bad, or the bad wants to do bad but does good.

The reality is that no one says they are bad but good so to make a game more realistic you have to think more realistically bit having the plot be that both are good but one goes good and the other does bad even though they both want to do good. You will never see any president, dictator, king, minister, or others that have high power that do bad say they want to do bad because they all really don’t want to.

Well that’s just an example of always having 4 options another is that of the elements like fire, earth, air, and water. Look at old fighting game and the new ones in how some old don’t have the standard attack and block but only attack like.
You have to make the game evolve and see what the old has what the newer ones have and what it will have.

For instance a RPG that has magic. You have your standard attack spells, your defense spells so you wont get hit, but do they have everything in between? Charts out the spells to some popular RPG and you will find some gaps that are lacking in the magic. Its like I seem so many small things that aren’t added that can make it more tactical and fun. Final fantast tactics did a very good job but they could have balanced a bit more.
For small / cheap games, funding isn''t a problem. My game cost me 0 so far, and it''s a text-RPG (old school!).
Check out Drunken Brawl at http://www.angelfire.com/games6/drunken_brawl!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement