Frequency

Started by
2 comments, last by Flintlock 23 years, 12 months ago
I was wondering if someone would be able to tell me at what frequency middle c is played at, and by how much the frequency is changed every half step. From this I can make better DLS Instruments, and in the end better sounding stuff. Show me what you got
Advertisement
there is an article about this at the Programmer''s Vault.
www.chesworth.com/pv
I don''t remeber exactly where it was, but it shouldn''t be too hard to find
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
Traditionally the A above middle C is given the frequency of 440 Hz. Every octive above doubles that freq. (ie the next highest A is 880 Hz) and every octive below halves the freq (ie the next lowest A is 220 Hz)

To find the change in each half step take the 12th root of 2 (because there are twelve half steps to an active) and that will be the change in frequency each note. I'd give it to you but I don't have a good enough calculator handy.

hope that helps
bcj

Edited by - bcj on 4/28/00 11:45:58 AM
The 12th root of 2 (2^(1/12)) is about 1.059463.

Multiply any frequency by that and the result will be the next half step up. I didn''t really make that clear in my last post. The difference bewteen every half step is different over the whole range of notes.

bcj

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement