• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

arkansas

Need Help with Error messages!!

This topic is 5799 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hey I wanna add a particle system to my game. I got two Errors and I don''t know what they mean or where I have to check my code. -> api.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: void __thiscall CParticleSystem::KillSystem(void)" (?KillSystem@CParticleSystem@@QAEXXZ) api.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: void __thiscall CSparks::InitializeSystem(void)" (?InitializeSystem@CSparks@@QAEXXZ) Debug/hanoi.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 2 unresolved externals

Advertisement
They are linker errors, they indicate that you have put a function prototype in the class definition, but have never provided an implementation for that function.

quote:
Original post by chowe6685
They are linker errors, they indicate that you have put a function prototype in the class definition, but have never provided an implementation for that function.

Not 100% correct. These errors indicate that prototypes for these functions have been defined, but bodies haven''t, and that there is a point in the program at which these functions are being called. Compilers are smart enough to remove "dud''s" - functions that are never called - from the object files, so as to keep down the executable size. This means that you can actually have bodiless function prototypes lying around, but only if you''re not calling these functions.

Crispy

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!