• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This topic is 5646 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
A consistent, thought through design?

For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can''t readily accept the God formula, the big answers don''t remain stone- written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command or faith a dictum. I am my own God. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us -- Charles Bukowski

Please explain further than that. I mean, what does this "consistant, thought through design" add to the language? I can code in C++ very easily, regardless of what you may find wrong with the design.

A man''s reach should exceed his grasp.

One thing is type safe methods called properties if you try and send a char to a method that takes an int it will throw an exeception. That is another part of the language it has SEH built into it (Structured Error Handleing? I forget what it means) It is the error handleing that you use with the Try{..} Catch{...} blocks. Every thing in C# is an object kinda like Java even the variables (I don''t think Java has that part) so every base class has basic methods. If you want a better comparison http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cscon/html/vclrfComparisonBetweenCCSharp.asp

quote:
Original post by The Reindeer Effect
I can code in C++ very easily, regardless of what you may find wrong with the design.

i too can code a "hello world" app pretty easily.

quote:
Original post by The Reindeer Effect
What does it have to offer that isn't available in C++?

Reflection. 'Nuff said.

[edited by - sark on December 7, 2002 12:25:17 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by djkno3
That is another part of the language it has SEH built into it (Structured Error Handleing? I forget what it means) It is the error handleing that you use with the Try{..} Catch{...} blocks.

It is Structured Exception Handling.

You are confusing C# with .NET. C++ has this same functionality. It is the chosen API that lacks exception handling. For example, the Windows C API and MFC signal errors using return values; .NET uses exceptions.

Reflection is awesome:

I really like the fact that you can build a (C#) DLL (they call it assembly). Then you load it from your C# app and can ask it what classes it contains. Then you can ask the class if it supports a certain interface. If it does, you create an instance of the class, cast it to the interface and use it. Plugins were never simpler (and safer) ... just imagine the possibilities!

-Marco

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!