• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

beantas

Game About Making A Game

This topic is 5727 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What about a game where you design a game? Let''s say you have a very complex AI character that you have to appease by amusing him, and you amuse him by designing a game for him. You can create game mechanics within the real game''s universe and the AI plays. Your challenge is to learn how to create game mechanics that are fun to your AI character. It''d be tough to come up with solid possibilities for game mechanics. But it''d be quite a neat little game.

Advertisement
Sort of an interactive tutorial about the game design process? That''d be one heck of a huge game unless you went about it via the one-man-project ideal. But if one went for realism...the game might end up having long periods of tediousness. Imagine having to code everything...

I think he''s talking more like SimGolf. A game where you have to build something for a specific target audience. A simulation game about video games. I know the idea has been tossed around in here before, might want to check further back.

-Ryan "Run_The_Shadows"
-Run_The_Shadows@excite.com
-The Navidson Record! The best film you''ll never see!

Oh yeah! I''m dumb. SimGolf is exactly the type of thing I was thinking of.

Bah no search function means I have to manually read every topic.

Haha screw the search function. Let''s have Diodor be a dedicated thread-finder

There wasn''t all that much to that thread. It was written before SimGolf was made. I wonder what other "games" it could be applied to.

Transportation Tycoon [Deluxe], seems to fit in this category of games your talking about. There''s a huge following of people that are still actively playing and moding/hacking the game... and I must add that I still have it on my HD; it''s great fun and when I''m burnt on coding or designing I usually end up playing the game for about 3 hours straight. When the game first came out I could be found playing all nighters only to realize this fact when I heard the birds chirping... only a few games have sucked me in like that...

Dave "Dak Lozar" Loeser

whens chris sawyer gonna release transport tycoon 2 @%!%! if hes even planning on that is... hes too busy wrapped up in rollercoaster tycoon. yep transport tycoon was great, especially over network with my bro (because the computer AI would build the dumbest railroad networks sometimes and destroy the country side)

oh yeah about the actual thread... :D

isnt what you''re thinking of basically like the sims? except maybe no control over the character.

or theme park. you design the park to suit what the customers demand.

to be honest, these games i mentioned, although they have their novelty value (and I probably have played them quite a bit when they were first around), get boring afterwhile. (with the exception of transport tycoon - i think due to the fact that it takes so long to get to the position of "transport tycoon" and once you''re there, new vehicles are still being released).

transport tycoon didnt lose the gamer as it offered many goals to set (subsidies that had to be fulfilled).

basically.. if you can make sense out of this thread, go ahead. i don''t really see where this is leading but seeing as someone mentioned transport tycoon.. i had to say something :D
sorry

If your virtual devver adopted a software-factory approach, I could see things working out a little better.

Your games get assembled from components (such as ''graphics engine version 1,'' ''networking module version 3'') and so on. You start with no components available, and must research in order to get them.

Of course, time spent researching is time lost developing. When you are presented with a design (from your designer) it gives estimates as to the component levels needed (i.e. ''graphics 3, sound 1, network 2,'' and so on). You have to pick a design which will sell well (given by ''genre,'' ''excitement,'' ''action rating,'' and so on), yet the components required for it would be either already under your belt, or attainable within the deadline set down by the publisher.

Actually, I could see this working...

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates
- sleeps in a ham-mock at www.thebinaryrefinery.cjb.net

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!