What should make the player?

Started by
33 comments, last by Mephs 21 years, 4 months ago
Hmm... If an MMORPG has a flat rate for monthly access and server-side storage of character information, I have an idea that might be pretty good.

Let the griefers build their fighting prowess to godlike levels through goblin genocide, but don''t allow XP gained from murder to contribute to skills like lockpicking, diplomacy and alchemy.

Let players set their characters to study while they''re logged off. Not to train, to study. Your little guy goes into the library and sits down with "Jewel Polishing for Dummies", and when you come back from a weekend at your grandmother''s house, he''s raised two levels in jewel polishing. Next time you''re at a bar and some barrel-chested barbarian comes in with the contents of a troll''s hoard, say, "Hey, buddy, that''s a nice ruby. For half of its current value I''ll make it worth three times what anybody would pay for it now." When you go to bed, have your little guy work on goldsmithing, so next time you meet that satisfied customer, you can turn his handful of looted coins and emeralds into a necklace fit for enchantment by the wizard down the block. Voila! You''re a jeweler, and a damn good one at that. People will come to you to have their loot appraised and modified, and you can start making money.

Or maybe you like the more adventurous side of things. Well, sit down and crack a book about lockpicking and enchantment breaking, and next time some brave knight comes in and says "I need somebody to get me into the dragon''s lair so that I can rock his freaking world. There''s a bag of gold in it for whoever''s got the rocks to come along," you can raise your hand and head off, with a burly axe-wielder to take care of orcs you might meet on your way.

This would also allow people to customize their character to their style of play. People who only log on once a month can be master wizards, enchanting weapons and armor, and accompanying groups into areas where muscles can''t keep you alive.

Such specialization would encourage party-building, bring in a real risk of treachery and deception, and generally deepen the gameplay, making it more social. And isn''t that the point?

Maybe there would still be a problem with overpowered characters, but in this sort of evironment, there''s bound to be a lot of "Man, I wish I hadn''t wasted my time getting that lockpick skill" and "If only I had another few hours worth of enchanting, my blacksmithing could be freaking magical!" Perhaps a six-month lifespan would discourage ancient, incredibly powerful characters and give players numerous opportunities to reinvent themselves, without having to build up the nerve to abandon their last guy.
Advertisement
Iron Chef, I am intrigued by your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter. This is exactly the sort of thing I was getting at.

The thing I''m wondering is: if we are all agreed there is a problem, and we have a significant degree of consensus on what can be done to solve it, and these solutions are also reasonably evident to anyone else examining the situation (I mean, I''m no genius), then why hasn''t anybody used these ideas yet? For example, Silvermyst, I know you''re excited about Shadow-whatsit, but doesn''t it still incorporate power leveling and mainly combat classes? I can''t think of a single current or upcoming MMORPG which is taking steps in the direction of greater character equality and less powerleveling. What makes the current model so popular, even with its many flaws?

-STC

---------------------------------------------------
-SpittingTrashcan

You can''t have "civilization" without "civil".
----------------------------------------------------SpittingTrashcanYou can't have "civilization" without "civil".
"What makes the current model so popular, even with its many flaws?"

The evolutionary history of the genre. MMORPGs came from cRPGs came from p&p RPGs. In p&pRPGs, combat is often the most developed mechanic because it''s the area that''s generally hardest to arbitrate in a manner that everyone agrees is fair - without clear conbat mechanics, you get players wanting to do things like "I decapitate 5 trolls with a single swing, backflip over the 6th and use it as a living shield against the goblin archers..." When cRPGs started being written, they built on the p&p experiences - borrowed the detailed combat systems, but not the AI intensive arbitration for other actions. Finally, MMORPGS, which have the potential for much less AI intensive interaction based systems tend to restrict themselves to the tried and tested combat-centric offline techniques rather than inventing new ways of doing things (which actually tend to go back a lot closer to the p&p roots of the genre)

Add to that that publishers and gamers tend, en masse, to be pretty conservative, and no-one''s willing to risk re-inventing the genre.
Not to mention that the clearest form of superiority is combat superiority. Comparing characters in an RPG is difficult, and if you want to find out who''s better, the obvious thing to do is make them fight. It''s pretty childish, a sort of a "My dad can beat up your dad" system, when in fact the value of an RPG character has about as much to do with combat prowess as the merits of a good father do. Or at least that''s the way I see it.
How about if other aspects of MMOG''s were turned more game-like. Would they then become a better method of comparison between characters? I mean in EQ people don''t go round in awe of others tradeskill scores, mainly because they are not displayed in any visual way to other players, but also because any monkey with a second computer can sit there and practise tradeskills all day with an online guide and enough plat to see them through. What if tradeskills we''re quicker to progress but involved more skill/knowledge on the part of the player that can''t just be leached from a guide site in its entirety... sort of a subgame?

Something I saw recently would work amazingly for hacking in a sci-fi RPG.... Blue Sky: Acceptable casualties. It''s a hacker simulation.... very fun to get into and I''m sure with a little modification it could be awesome in a full game... and the demo is only 5 megs, would fit in easily in modern day games

That''s the kind of thing I''m talking about.... make smithing for example a skill that requires to some degree some decent co-ordination or a bit of knowledge with a little bit of pot luck thrown in there... make it something that isn''t hugely tedious boring and repetetive that any monkey could do and people will see value in achieveing in it... because not everyone has what it takes... then it really means something!

As for levels vs systems without levels, I refer you to my Warhammer Online link earlier. It discusses using a system that does not feature levels... see, I said it also featured other things I dislike about EQ, and a lot more besides. Damn I sound like a walking advert

Steve AKA Mephs
Cheers,SteveLiquidigital Online

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement