• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

%§ Landscapes §%

This topic is 5551 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey How do I make a cool looking Landscape without using a grey-scale-image. I don''t know but I hate this method. I tried it a couple times, but the hills were always messed up. Maybe I''m doing it wrong. Can somebody give me a hint. arkansas

Advertisement
The is a tutorial on procedurally creating landscapes at http://www.lighthouse3d.com/opengl/terrain/ which covers several techniques, such as the fault algorithm, mid-point displacement and particle deposition. As well as loading the terrain from a height map.

Or you could use a fractal algorithm to generate a grey-scale image, and then use that to create the landscape.

Thanks.. I''ll check that out.

Wrold Hight maps... sounds interesting. Do you know some Tuts about that.

Druid did a small project using a fractal spectral synthesis algorithm to generate points on a heightmap. It should be on gamedev.net/opengl, and it has source included.

Thanks for the help...

and big thanks to Chris_Kynoch::
the tuts on http://www.lighthouse3d.com/opengl/terrain/ are really specific and explain a lot about that subject.

Read "Methods for Realistic Landscape Imaging" paper by F. Kenton Musgrave. Heavy on math but very useful!

You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.

I guess Musgrave is a little bit to high for me. But he makes some awsome work thats for sure.

• Advertisement