• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nakor21

SDL tut for noob?

This topic is 5649 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i''m a noob, yes i am and i need a really basicly tut for SDL one thats writen for morons like me seems like half the tuts i see on the next are for "experts" so if anyone knows where some REALLLY BASIC tuts are, drop me a line with the links plz!! nakor21@operamail.com

Advertisement
Really the hardest part of SDL is getting it installed. Especialy if you are using VC++.NET after that it's a breeze though, check the documentation on their website. www.libsdl.org

[edited by - tstrimp on December 7, 2002 11:05:26 AM]

and if you''re really desperate, check cone3d.gamedev.net
but cone doesnt update the site anymore.. it''s pretty
much a waste of gamdev.net''s bandwidth now

-eldee
;another space monkey;
[ Forced Evolution Studios ]

::evolve::

Do NOT let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is not a real doctor!

I used SDL 1 month after I STARTED to learn C (before C, I knew X86 ASM and PHP, so I did have quite a few programming experience), and it was really easy to begin with.
Like other said, the examples that come with are very easy to understand, and they are also well commented. I have a BIG problem understanding other''s code, but, with the SDL examples, I had no problem...

Just read this post and did a bit of researching into what SDL was. I had never heard of this before so it was interesting to read about it and what it can do. However from what i have read so far on cone3d.gamedev.net, a lot of what sdl seems to do is pretty much the same as direct x. Even the stuff on cone3d site with the tutorials is pretty much comparable to tutorials that i have read on direct x. That is setting up display modes, locking surfaces before you draw on them etc although it does seem a bit more simple to me. So I am just wondering is it worthwhile to continue reading more about sdl or should i just concentrate on direct x.

In fact are the two just more or less the same thing, that is just multimedia api's.

How about them apples?

[edited by - popcorn on December 7, 2002 10:19:24 PM]

SDL is portable. Direct X is not (windows only). If you want to make games/apps that run on more than windows, then keep working with SDL. If you want to develop for windows only, stay with direct x.

thanks yspotua, I guess that should have been pretty obvious. Anyway what are your preferences on this matter, do you find direct x or sdl is easier to use/learn.

How about them apples?

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!