Move on to windows now??

Started by
20 comments, last by julienX 21 years, 3 months ago
quote:Original post by DerekSaw
There''s no point in starting with a 100 line Hello World windows program when you can start with a 3 line console Hello World program.

#include <windows.h>int WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE, HINSTANCE, LPCTSTR, int){  ::MessageBox(0, "Hello, World!", "Welcome", MB_OK);  return 0;}   

Well, just 2 lines in the WinMain()!

[EDIT] Anyway, building up your experience on pointers/references in console mode would be easier than figuring out errors like "unable to convert ''void*'' from ''HINSTANCE__*'' ".

[edited by - DerekSaw on December 27, 2002 9:45:03 PM]

@DerekSaw: I guess you can program a hello world program that way, but you should look at Microsoft''s idea of what Hello World is. In Visual C++, when you create a new project and normally specify ''Empty Workspace'', specify ''Hello World'' or something like that. It''s just – pathetic.

[  c o d e  m a t r i x  ]
When you go homeTell them of us, and say:For your tomorrow,We gave our today.
Advertisement
Well said. I just wanna point out that comparing the popular "Hello, World!" with a Windowed version of "Hello, World!" is like apple vs orange. The former have text only, whereas the latter have system menus, graphics, fonts, maximize/minimize/close buttons... etc.

In short, writing 100 lines of "Hello, World" isn''t useless.
"after many years of singularity, i'm still searching on the event horizon"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement