• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wutz2003

2D Sprite Engine (tiles) - question

This topic is 5732 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am planning to program a little 2D game with a sprite engine in VB using DirectX8. It''s supposed to draw a level screen consisting of 20*15 tiles, like Zelda or whatever. So I got familiar with the D3DXSprite class which seems to be the right thing to use for this, and I got it working alright. Not that hard. It''s also fast enough for my needs. Well, everything alright so far. But then I started thinking that it''s kinda dumb to draw the whole level background tile by tile each frame, since it doesn''t ever change. So my question is: How can I just draw the level background tile by tile once at the beginning of the game, save it somewhere as a surface or something, and then just draw that surface each frame before I draw the objects on top of it? After reading the DirectX SDK documentation, I thought creating a texture with the usage flag set to D3DUSAGE_RENDERTARGET, then setting that texture as a render target and drawing the background on that texture would be the right thing to do (once before the game starts). That way, I would have the level background as one big texture and wouldn''t have to redraw it all the time. But I didn''t get anything to work, I just produce invalid calls and whatelse. I tried using the d3dx.CreateTexture() and the d3ddevice.SetRenderTarget() functions, and I guess I did something wrong. The documentation says it''s possible to do that somehow, though (quote (d3dx.CreateTexture()): "Specifying D3DUSAGE_RENDERTARGET indicates that the surface is to be used as a render target. The resource can be passed to the NewRenderTarget parameter of the SetRenderTarget method"). Is that the right way to try it? If yes, how would I do it right? And if no, how should I do it then?? I''m still a beginner with DirectX programming, so I hope someone can help me here. I don''t have any code to post yet since I didn''t want to start programming until I got this problem figured out

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!