• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BluePhoenix

The Solomon Project (Real Time Tactics)

This topic is 5724 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I made a real time tactics game which is located here: http://www.gamedev.net/community/gds/projects/default.asp?projectID=860 I was only able to test it on my computer and that of my brothers and it ran fine there (but both were Win98 machines) so if something strange happens please report. Ah and I''m german so don''t kill me instandly for spelling / grammar errors within here and the game, I tried my best ^^ today is the first day of the rest of my life

Advertisement
I have downloaded and played the game, hafta say what I''ve seen so far is great =) I''m not a huge RTS fan but this does look to be a very nice effort. My only concern thus far is that once I beat the first level the game would crash after the next level''s mission objective screen for no apparant reason with no warning, I have tried to get back to the level using the password but the same thing happens each time. I''m running windows XP with a voodoo 3 2000 PCI card, 256 megs of RAM, 20 gigs HD space, SB 512 sound card.

Aside from that issue, what I have seen I liked =)

i quite liked it. its cool how the ships dont stay static and move around in circles etc.

the colour of space is a bit too bright, maybe darker blue or even black... and there are too many stars.

i had the same problem where the game crashes after the second level briefing.

Ok i managed to duplicate the problem and I am now trying to figure out what my computer has what every other computer has not.

---

today is the first day of the rest of my life

Great game! I'm sure it gets better when you can play with more ships and have bigger battles.

Problems

1) The game crashed at the exact time as everyone else.
My specs:
1400 AMD Athlon
256mb ram
Nvidia 32mb TNT2 graphics card
Soundblaster Live!
Windows ME

2) Having the ships circle is a nice touch but it does create a couple of problems;
a) The ships fly off the map when at the edges of the map.
b) Selecting the ship can be made difficult if the ship keeps flying out of view.

3)When a selected ship is destroyed or flies off the screen on the right, the selection square is still viewable (actually on the status bar in the second example).

Suggestions

1) When dragging the selection box to select more than one unit if you drag to the right, the viewing screen doesn't move with it or you accidently move on to the mini map and change the area your looking at. Suggestion is; while the mouse button is held down you can't move the pointer onto the status bar and causes the view to move to the right instead.

2) Some sort of pause button so that selecting fighters becomes alot easier.

3) Being able to click on an enemy ship and see what type of ship it is. What kind of ship were those bigger enemy ships on the first level? They didn't move or try to attack. Perhaps you could make some sort of scanner ship to see how much ammo they have or something.

4) You should be able to move around the map with the arrow keys.

5) The status of a unit should be represented with a bar instead of numbers (like in alot of other RTS/RTT)

- DarkIce

[edited by - DarkIce on December 9, 2002 7:28:14 AM]

oh yeah forgot to mention the last post, the selection box doesn''t show up when you drag from directions other than top left to bottom right, yet the units still do select.

Hi, thanks for all the input. I will concentrate on getting that crashing problem fixed although this may take a while since much testing will have to be done on a remote computer (the one I got to duplicate the problem). I will then proceed fixing/changing some of the other things.

EDIT: Next update will be next weekend earliest... I just figured that learning for my math/german tests might be a bit more important this week
---

today is the first day of the rest of my life

[edited by - BluePhoenix on December 9, 2002 4:56:12 PM]

*bump*

Project updated, the Crashing should occur no more. There haven't been any other bugfixes yet but you may want to play missions 2-10. Password for second mission is 129210 if you forgot and don't want to play mis 1 again

Project is still located here:
http://www.gamedev.net/community/gds/projects/default.asp?projectID=860

EDIT: further improvements done

fixed a bug making it impossible to lose mission 2
(this one appeared after fixing the crashing due to me removing the ability to lose for testing purpose)

there are now status bars showing the health of selected units

dead units do no longer appear to be selected

[edited by - BluePhoenix on December 15, 2002 9:31:41 AM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!