XFree86 startup error - no screens found

Started by
11 comments, last by elendil67 21 years, 4 months ago
Hi there! I have recently installed Debian 3.0 from a Linux Format DVD, and have specified in the installation to install XFree86 and I configured my display (Gateway EV700). When I start up the computer Debian displays the scrolling text. But when I get to the console login the screen flashes to all black two to three times. I then get an error message that says something along the lines of 'I cannot start up XFree86. Would you like to view the log file?'. The XFree86 log contains the following error message:
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration

Fatal server error:
no screens found

After this, I have to stay in console mode. I am running Debian 3.0 on an ATi Xpert 128 16MB PCI and a Gateway EV700 monitor. A search showed that a lot of people were having this problem with different graphics cards and different distrobutions, but I could not find an answer. Thanks for your consideration. [edit: here is the Screen, Device, and Monitor portion of xf86config-I hope this will help]

Section "Device"
        Identifier     "Generic Video Card"
        Driver         "ati"
        Option         "Use FBDev"        "true"
EndSection
Section "Monitor"
        Identifier     "Generic Monitor"
        HorizSync      30-57
        VertSync       43-72
        Option         "DPMS"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
        Identifier     "Default Screen"
        Device         "Generic Video Card"
        Monitor        "Generic Monitor"
        DefaultDepth   24
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth        1
                Modes        "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth        4
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth        8
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth        16
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth        24
        EndSubSection
EndSection

RTFM | STFW | EMFP --------------------- </a></color></font> <SPAN CLASS=editedby>[edited by - elendil67 &#111;n December 8, 2002 8:54:00 PM]</SPAN>
When you go homeTell them of us, and say:For your tomorrow,We gave our today.
Advertisement
Post your /etc/X11/XF86Config please,or just the Screen Section, so we all can see your problem, maybe re-running xf86config will solve your problem,but sometime you have to manually edit your XF86Config file.
Thanks for your suggestion, hpolloni. Do you know what section is stated as the screen section? Also, so I can get the config file on the forum, do you know how I can copy in vi and paste in lynx? Thanks for your consideration.

RTFM | STFW | EMFP
---------------------
</a></color></font>
Dunno how to copy/paste, but I think the screen section is the one that starts with [SCREENS]. But i''m not sure.
I like the DARK layout!
I had this problem. My memory is a bit cloudy on the matter, but I think the solution was to run xf86cfg, rather than xf86config. Debian comes with two versions of xfree86, for some reason.
quote:Original post by elendil67
Thanks for your suggestion, hpolloni. Do you know what section is stated as the screen section?

It's the section(s) labeled "Screen".
quote:
Also, so I can get the config file on the forum, do you know how I can copy in vi and paste in lynx? Thanks for your consideration.

If you have gpm installed (and running) you can select text with the mouse and then click the middle mouse button where you want to paste it (tip: use multiple virtual consoles).

Look here for info about the format of XF86Config. That's for version 4.2.1, if you have another version, it may be a little different (it should be consistent across 4.x versions, but if you have a 3.x version, then it's definitely different). In that case look at the docs for your version at www.xfree86.org.

[edited by - Dactylos on December 8, 2002 1:03:37 AM]
The screen portion of the config file is posted at the top.

RTFM   STFW   EMFP
---------------------
[  c o d e &nbspm a t r i x  ]
The screen section looks fine, try posting the "Device" and "Monitor" sections as well.
Yeah, post device and monitor sections too.

(EE) means error.

Look above in the log for any other errors that might be relavent.
You''re probably just using a bad video driver or have bad monitor parameters.

You will need to edit the config file or run the config program again though to correct it. Try playing around with the video settings to get something basic working (like vga). Then start to add your own stuff to see where things go awry.

Ok the device and monitor sections are at the top.

RTFM   STFW   EMFP
---------------------
[  c o d e &nbspm a t r i x  ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement