external dependancies (help!)

Started by
9 comments, last by Username_ 21 years, 4 months ago
hello, i have just started using MSVC. i wanted to start making games so i got the directx sdk. i acctually know close to no c++, however, using my intuition and knowledge of other programming laguages i managed to make myself a small game. the game i made, i did not make from scratch, i started with one of the sample programs that came with the directx sdk (fullscreenmode). after getting a good portion into programming it, i t was getting a bit messy so i decided to close the workspace for that program and start a new one, transfering over what i needed and cleening out extranious code. everything worked well, except now i cannot compile because there is well im not exactly sure of the problem but it has something to do with letting the compiler know where a file is. in my original workspace, there is a file called basetsd.h (it is part of the directx sdk) and in my new workspace i dont know how add the file or tell the compiler where it is. i hope this all made some sense, and any help would be appreciadte. please and thanks, username
Advertisement
also, on a bit of a side note, in MSVC, is there any way to have multiple workspaces open so i can switch between the two?
This may sound harsh, but I really think you need to leave DX alone until you have a firm grasp of C/C++. diving right in has lead to many a new-programmer''s disaster.
On the note though, you probably just didn''t include the required DX libs/headers into the project.

-Ryan "Run_The_Shadows"
-Run_The_Shadows@excite.com
-The Navidson Record! The best film you''ll never see!
thanks for the advice, no its does not sound harh, i understand where you are comming from. on the other hand, this is how i leared all my programming languages, just jumping right in and figgureing it out (with the exception of java, ive taken classes in that) and maybe i made my self sound a little too much like a cluelesss newb, i am not totally incompetent.

as for this
"you probably just didn''t include the required DX libs/headers into the project."

yes you were right, (stupid mistake), however fixing that has yeilded the folloling compile-time error:

--------------------Configuration: Version F Monkey - Win32 Debug--------------------
Linking...
monkey.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__timeGetTime@0
dxutil.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__timeGetTime@0
ddutil.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _DirectDrawCreateEx@16
ddutil.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _IID_IDirectDraw7
Debug/Version F Monkey.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 3 unresolved externals
Error executing link.exe.

Version F Monkey.exe - 5 error(s), 0 warning(s)

any help on that would be greatly appreceated.

username_

use #include <basestd.h>

that should do it

also, for multiple workspaces? i open 2 instances of VC++ works fine.

and as an edit, for the timeGetTime(), you need to add WINMM.LIB to the included libs.

and are you sure you have the DX libs included? as in going to project->settings, linker tab, and adding the D3D7.LIB to the libraries box?

[edited by - Drakex on December 7, 2002 9:24:16 PM]
_______________________________________________________________________Hoo-rah.
Add dxguid.lib to the libraries to link with as well. IID_IDirectDraw7 is defined there.
ok, thanks guys. ive got that problem fixed. my program will now compile successfuly compile.

[edit]wait... i think i might know the problem (as per below)... one moment please[/edit]
[edit2]and i do.. Fixed! thanks for all your help guys[/edit2]

[edited by - Username_ on December 7, 2002 10:57:46 PM]
I salute your abilities if you can dive right into something that''s steps ahead of you and slowly pick it apart until you understand it, but always just be careful that you don''t blow your mind too quickly. There are certain limits with programming where you need to stop for a while and spend time practicing and perfecting your skills before moving on to the next major hurdle.

-Ryan "Run_The_Shadows"
-Run_The_Shadows@excite.com
-The Navidson Record! The best film you''ll never see!
So said whats-his-crap before he flew too close to the sun and his wings melted. (Aphrodites, I''m thinking?)
come again sir?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement