• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doddler

Future of DX

This topic is 6931 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone . I figure I might as well start up a little discussion on the future of DX. If you havn''t heard yet, the proposed remedy to microsoft''s anti-trust case is to break up the company into 2 companys. One company will hold the operating system, where as the other one will hold all rights on there applications. Well, this is just fine and dandy, but what does this mean for us who program with DX? How will this affect us? Well, it could go 2 ways... The operating system company could hold on to dx, or the applications company could hold on to dx. Since DX isn''t really part of the operating system, there''s a good chance that dx will be turned over the the aplications company. Ok, concider for a moment that it was handed over the the aplications company. What does that mean for us? I''m not exactly sure. If they continue work on DX, they''ll be supporting a direct competitors operating system. If this is the senario, it could mean 1 of 3 things. They could continue to develop DX for windows like they used to. They could completly stop development on DX (I hope not). Last but not least, they might (best option) be driven to make DX a multiplatform sdk. Now, this is just my opinion on this subject, writen only to hear the opinions of other developers. Got an opinion, post a reply! Wanna flame me, well, be my guest! Any reply''s are welcome! Anyways, hope you get something out of this. In the meantime, code lots, and have fun! -Doddler

Advertisement
I''m not sure that splitting MS will make the 2 pieces into competitors with each other. If one company handles apps and the other handles the OS, there is pretty much no reason for them to even consider each other competitors. They are in different markets.

If the app company ended up with DX, I imagine it would progress pretty much the same as it already does as a Windows-only API.

On a side note, I''m not sure that splitting MS like that will accomplish anything anyway. I mean, I doubt that too many of the WinNT kernel programmers even know, let alone work with, the folks who write Excel, for example. I mean, in a company that size, each department is practically it''s own company anyway. Supposedly, splitting the company will put IE in the "App Company," but then the OS company can license it anyway. Seems like a lot of beauracratic redtape to accomplish very little.

Stop bitchin'' about Microsoft, and stop pickin'' your noses and lookin'' at the damm sky already! If you''re bored, take a PAXIL and go out for the first time.

Ready to help...
OldManDave.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!