• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warsong

Getting a foot hold in game making fame? just an idea..

This topic is 5643 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well some want to make elaborate games that compete against the high end games to get in but I don’t think that’s a good idea. I think you have to do something simple but great. A lot say they have good ideas but they can''t make something good out of something that doesn''t involve high end graphics and state of the art game play. If you can blow away the competition with a small game then you are decently a good designer and know how to do your research. I think people should make a puzzle game that is simple, addicting, fun, and meaningful if you can. It''s like you are fighting (your game idea) against someone (the game industry) and you have no weapon (just use your best design) and they have a weapon (new graphic engines, a lot of money, resources, and a big team, etc.). If your opponent needs weapons to beat you then we know who is better. Good luck

Advertisement
good idea, but how about you first try to get a foothold in making games, and THEN try to get a foothold in game making fame?
clones can be great games, if done right. nobody will mind a good shoot ´em up or tetris clone. crawl, then walk, then fly.

That may be a good idea for some, but it certainly won''t work for me. I suck at game design. I''ve never come up with an idea that I could implement and that was really any fun, and I''ve tried very hard. On the other hand, I have a knack for coming up with algorithms, especially concerning graphics programming. What looks better on a portfolio - a heap of technically lowly and also no-fun games or a graphics engine + demos that show off experimental effects that you''ve come up with and successfully implemented.
I don''t think I''d do well as a professional game designer. Hey, I don''t think I''d make it to that position, but as a graphics programmer I might actually not make a fool of myself.
But for aspiring designers, yes, that possibly is a good idea.

- JQ
Full Speed Games. Are back.

Hase that’s what I basically meant and if you didn’t get it and said it the way you did then you are right since we meant the same thing.

Look at Tetris.
The Russian guy "Alexey Pajitnov" who made Tetris is better than the famous Nintendo designer "Sigeru Miyamoto" who made Mario, Zelda, etc.
Gameboy was a big hit because of Alexey Pajitnov''s Tetris and not Shigeru Miyamoto. If it wasn’t for Tetris the game boy would have went under for many reason.

On another note for how programmers to get in I don''t know of an easy way but one way it to make games for people that have a good idea if you can''t design.

Remember you don’t need million of dollars, many great artists, or a dozen programmers to enter the game industry. But to stay in the industry you have to keep on having good ideas than stay in like so many do by making bad games just to stay in. Make what you want and do it well and go for other things you are good at when you can’t do anymore where you are.

better??!

I think you need to get a bit more real life and a little less preaching into your posts... please don´t take this the wrong way, but I´m getting the impression that you don´t have a hell of a lot of experience when it comes to the industry.

Tetris may have kept the Game Boy afloat, but Shigeru Miyamoto was one of the greatest video game designers in the history of the industry. Even now, in his retirement, he''s contributing powerfully to the game design field, overseeing projects and advising teams to ensure that their games have to proper balance of fresh, innovative material and tried-and-true gameplay. I don''t hink there are many people who could contend with that.

On a more relevant note, game designing fame is less important than game designing success. A good idea, properly implemented, will produce a video game that many people will enjoy. That''s what makes a game designer good. Not every hero is a revolutionary. Money''s nice, but if it''s all you''re after, what do you do when you have it?

Read my post and links about why Miyamoto sucks. That’s my option and I gave full detail and links in what he says. The guy doesn''t even play much games or all, but maybe he evaluates which he said himself in the official Nintendo site.

Like I said I know my info, so don''t question me as if I am dead wrong. If you don’t know about it then what can I say but look it up.
And can we get back to the topic and if you want to talk about Miyamoto make another post and talk about it or look up what I said in GD in my older posts which maybe google can find the post.

take care

Guest Anonymous Poster
just curious, warsong. how old are you and what do you do?

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
just curious, warsong. how old are you and what do you do?

sorry to bring up a two day old topic but Warsong never answered the first AP''s question and I''d also like to know!

you know the phrase "success proves him right", right? success is not everything of course, but when you have success you´ve usually done at least something right...

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!