How to write a remix: helpful for writing my own work

Started by
4 comments, last by Muzlack 21 years, 4 months ago
Hello, I'm going to be remaking a game called King's Quest IV, eventually. Now, I need to be able to write music for my own games, so this will help me go from a really basic piece to something real. I got this from KQ3, and I want to write a remix. I did my best to get it perfect, but I did it by ear and it's pretty close. The only adjustments I've made from the original is added different volumes to make it have more feeling. I want to take this and make it a full piece. It has a lot of potential. And also, I can think up a million small ideas like this, so it'll help with that. Where should I start? link --Muzlack [edited by - Muzlack on December 8, 2002 1:58:33 AM]
--Muzlack
Advertisement
bump
If you want to make it a full-sounding piece, the next thing you should add is harmony. But since everyone has his or her own style of composing, you should do what feels right to you. For one, it would be useful to experiment and try things on your own. Also, you''d have more ideas on where to go next by listening to musical styles you wish to emulate.

With that in mind, you should be off to a good start, but I''m not too sure what you have in mind when you say that you want to do a remix. Will this piece be orchestral? If you have a picture in your head on how you want it to turn out in the end, you should divulge to us more information.
I''ll give a few examples of a few songs that sound like what kind of STYLE I''d like it to sound like. There was actually a remix already written for this, and it sounds perfect. Now, I don''t want mine to sound anything like his, but I want to understand how to make my own remix of a really basic theme like this for my own purposes. This is a really basic piece, so building off of it is really good practice.

Here''s a few zipped midis of some good pieces.

http://www.queststudios.com/quest/Sierra1.html Go to King''s Quest V on the big list. I really like The princess Cassima theme.. Listen to the whole thing there.

The ending melody... don''t worry you don''t have to listen to the whole thing! Umm.. 3:38 is where you''ll want to start on this one.. I really like that theme.

Listen to "Oasis" too.. a really nice one.

Now go back. Click on Sierra lounge... it''s on the right. Near the bottom, you''ll see King''s Quest IV finale. That''s an MP3... very good.

And finally go to the Sierra AGI, and download the Mp3 remix of Kq3 opening. That''s the redone version. Again, I don''t want mine to sound anything like it except for the part I showed you because I want to do this on my own, if you will.
--Muzlack
I would suggest choosing a basic style like classical, rock, latin along with a mood and then improvize with the theme based on the style and mood you want. As you''re improvising, try to imagine what the accompianment (rhythmn and harmony parts) would sound like if you were listening to the completed song. Once you have the melody start laying down the rhythmn and harmony tracks. I guess that''s a little vague, but I''m not trained in musical theory so all I have to go on is a gut feeling of what sounds good and how to immitate various musical styles; I pretty much just compose by ear. One of my favorite composition methods is to sing or vocalize (if there aren''t any words) the melody and then imagine the other parts as I''m vocalizing, occasionally throwing in some rhythmn and harmony to keep myself on track.
Class
remix 101

http://remix.overclocked.org/index.php

go to the top select remixing 101 and read whats the steps are. Also check out the remix of a KQ game thay have, maybe that might help.
Good luck!
***Power without perception is useless, which you have the power but can you perceive?"All behavior consists of opposites. Learn to see backward, inside out and upside down."-Lao Tzu,Tao Te Ching Fem Nuts Doom OCR TS Pix mc NRO . .

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement