• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

advantages and disadvantges of GLUT

This topic is 5555 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

a little help.... "You''''re right...I''''M A RAGAHOLIC! I''''M ADDICTED TO RAGAHOL!"--Homer Jay Simpson

Advertisement
Advantages:
Easy to set up your proggy. Much easier than learning win32 imo.
Very simple to use.
Cross-platform.
Plenty of examples using it (Red book eh)
Great for quick tests, like if you want to try some neat feature you just read about.

Disadvantges:
It''s discontinued. No more releases.
Input is horrible for games. One-key at once, iirc.
No audio support.
It takes over your program, since all your code is now in callbacks. May annoy some control freaks (and what programmer isn''t?)
No fullscreen support.
iirc, it doesn''t support setting up some important things (like stencil buffers or what pixel format you want) that win32 (or something like SDL) would let you do.

In the end, I suggest if you''re doing very simple stuff, or non-interactive "movies" using OpenGL, or just testing something, go with GLUT.

If you need better input, sound, fullscreen, or complete control of your program (no "This function never returns" nonsense), try SDL (Or ClanLib or Allegro. SDL is my choice for OpenGL though).

Hope this helps.

Disadvantges:
It''s discontinued. No more releases. TRUE WHICH IS DEFINITLY NOT GOOD
Input is horrible for games. One-key at once, iirc. NOT TRUE
No audio support. TRUE
It takes over your program, since all your code is now in callbacks. May annoy some control freaks (and what programmer isn''t?) TRUE
No fullscreen support. NOT TRUE
iirc, it doesn''t support setting up some important things (like stencil buffers or what pixel format you want) that win32 (or something like SDL) would let you do. NOT TRUE STENCIL + DST_ALPHA ARE SUPPORTED USE GLUT_STENCIL | GLRU_ALPHA

http://uk.geocities.com/sloppyturds/kea/kea.html
http://uk.geocities.com/sloppyturds/gotterdammerung.html

• Advertisement