Game Devlopment Career Confusion

Started by
5 comments, last by Roger 23 years, 11 months ago
Hello people...I''m a juniior in HS...I''ve always been really interested in game design, but Im a bit confused right now...see, i consider myself of above average artisic ability, and I think I''ll be a pretty good programmer once I get into it more(school has been weighing me down a lot), but I just don''t know if I want to go into computer science because the only job in that field that I''d really be happy with would be game design..How abundant are jobs in this field...would I be risking screwing myself over really badly by going into a field to do something that''s too competetive to do practically, and being stuck working in a cubicle for the rest of life...thanks for reading this giant thing..
Advertisement
Hey, I''m a junior too, and love the whole idea of programming/making games. I have been thinking a lot about my career and my future lately, and I think that I am going to push myself and try to get into Digipen Institute of Technology in Redmond WA. It is a college for making games. Also check out Full Sail. Just telling you about the things I have been going through from my school counselors the past few months.
Didn''t help much for answering your questions, just wanted to let you know that you aren''t the only one.
Junior here too

i am considering Digipen (http://www.digipen.edu) as well

although im pretty sure its a 2 year college

maybe after UTD
My thoughts are, if you want to program games but can''t stand programming other things, you won''t be too successful. It sounds like you would rather be in computer animation, 3D modeling, or some other field generally seperated from tradition CS that is used in game design. Remember, you don''t HAVE to code to work on a game. You sound more of an aesthetic person, anyway.
The game industry is competitive, but no more so than any other hot Computer field today. Games are growing by leaps and bounds. I used to think that I would be happy only programming games, but recently having gotten into DBs and Web integration, I think I could be happy doing something else too.
If you can model / animate pretty good, you should continue that. I think that the need for modellers and animaters is pretty big, well for a good one that is ;-)...

----------
Drago, VerSoft
osu!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement