How much do game programmers make?

Started by
3 comments, last by Robo 23 years, 11 months ago
I am wondering how much game programmers get paid. Right now I am going to school. I''m gettin ready to either get a job in the gaming industry or get a job as a programmer making some software. I really don''t know what to do, and I hear you can get paid more programming somewhere else. I also don''t want to get get raped at a game development place, working insane hours, neglecting my family and then not getting paid enough. Can anyone give me some info on what''s really out there?? Thanks!!
Advertisement
you will hearn more doing vb database programming than programming games probly.

but the game industry isnt that 20 huors per day work ppl think it is (well, not for big developers), probly u can have to work one or twoo weekend when a deadline is coming, but you probly wont work more than 40 hours per week
It's good to be an outcast, you don't need to explain what you do, you just do it and say you don't belong there.
I would love to be in your shoes right now! I wish I was in school to make games, or if that''s what you''re planning to do.

Well, do you want the money or the satisfaction of making a game? I''m personally going into the game industry for the fun and satisfaction you get. Even now I''m having fun making dumb I/O programs. Well, to each his own.
Personnaly, I believe that if you shrug off the notion that you have to be in Silicon Valley to make games, then you can actually make good money these days programming games. It has less to do with the company and more to do with how you sell yourself to that company. As a technology company owner, I find that I have to compete just as hard for the C++ DirectX programmers and Network Programmers as any other business does. The sweet Ace in my pocket (You get to create games) is not as big as one would think. Hopefully, VenuSoft Inc is not the only company that believes the happiness of its employees is paramount to the success of a game. Salary plays a part and should only be fair market value for someone with a given skill set. Don''t get me wrong, from the business side, the less we can pay you and still keep you happy, the better. I am just saying that today''s workforce is forcing even game companies to be more competitive. You just have to make sure that the company you interview with knows that you know it and are not ready to accept the "Oooh I get to make games!!" deer-in-headlights stereotype that typifies opportunities in this market.

Kressilac
Derek Licciardi (Kressilac)Elysian Productions Inc.
I didn''t mean my statement as I just want to make games and not get paid for my work. I want to make money just like anyone (sain) would like.

But, I don''t mind making minimum wage until I make myself known. And maybe if they know that I''ll eat A Cup O'' Noodles for a year to ship a game I might have a better chance of getting hired. But that''s me.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement