DirectX 9 release date?

Started by
11 comments, last by tls284 21 years, 4 months ago
Sorry, I can''t seem to find much of anything on this topic anywhere. Anyone have any idea when the SDK will be released? I noticed they released the released candidate for the runtime, but the download app wont even work for me..
Advertisement
sOmetime around christmas
-Da Mr.RaSt3RiZah-
I was on www.microsoft.com and somewhere they said a beta was avaliable. However, i wouldn''t worry for a while as there is no point programming something to directx9 when not many people would have it.

The past was unknown, the future was predicted.
the future is just like the past, just later. - TANSTAAFL
First, they said it''d be november-ish. November is gone and it''s not been released yet.

The microsoft guys said ( on DirectXDev ) that it''s better to release a quality product rather than a poor hurried one.

It''s still due release on Christmas, though.

Doesn''t the beta expire sometime very early January?

For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can''t readily accept the God formula, the big answers don''t remain stone- written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command or faith a dictum. I am my own God. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us -- Charles Bukowski
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
quote:Original post by Tooko
I was on www.microsoft.com and somewhere they said a beta was avaliable. However, i wouldn''t worry for a while as there is no point programming something to directx9 when not many people would have it.

The past was unknown, the future was predicted.

There are a lot of reasons to get started with it, regardless that people don''t have it downloaded. Mainly, 9.0 is managed and integrates well with .NET managed languages - the API is completely redone. I''ve read examples of the new API and, well, it makes 8.0 or earlier versions look like a joke as far as ease of use goes.
The API has not been completely redone, just a few things have changed, and a bit has been added, namely the .NET framework. DX 8.x users should feel right at home with the DX9 SDK when it comes out.
I found "beta 3" on some Russian site... it says it would expire horribly* sometime in April, so I decided not to install it. I''m still not sure if it was actually DX9.

*horribly = "You may have to reinstall Windows entirely once this beta expires"
I''m confused about managed code. How exactly does using DX (or just coding generally) differ from normal c++ code, in terms of what it looks like and performance?

Read about my game, project #1
NEW (9th September)diaries for week #5

Also I''m selling a few programming books very useful to games coders. Titles on my site.

John 3:16
Theres some DX 9 books scheduled to come out this spring.. so hopefully the SDK will be here by then lol.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement