The Western: FPS? RPG? RTS?

Started by
106 comments, last by bishop_pass 21 years, 3 months ago
From the high plains of Wyoming to the Rio Grande of Texas and further out west to the mining towns of the Sierra Nevada... This genre isn''t exploited to its potential. No doubt some will claim that it doesn''t lend itself to play like a fantasy or sci-fi epic might, but that just isn''t true. The Western contains many of the classical elements any game could hope for. Indian culture alone provides many fascinating analogues to fantasies, including cultural conflict, rituals, nomadic lifestyles, medicine men, war, foreign customs... Weapons include pistols, rifles, shotguns, the bow and arrow, knives, swords, gatling guns, cannons, dynamite... Places and locales include mining towns, saloons, bars, jails, the gallows, mainstreet, alleyways, goldmines, gulches, canyons, caves, railway stations, railway passenger cars, cantinas, haciendas, watering holes, wells... Activities include gambling, gunfighting, barroom brawls, knife fights, hangings, arson, carriage driving, horse riding, claim jumping, bounty hunting, lying, cheating, investigating, sneaking, business building, ... Transportation includes walking, riding, carriage driving, railway, mule train...
Advertisement
If this thread is about the Western genre (like those movies with Clint Eastwood)in games, then that''s what I''d like to see:

- FPS? I hate FPSs! I believe FPSs are done by those who can''t create a good-looking hero. My vote for third-person 3D adventuring (RPG elements welcome).

- Improved horse factor. I so much pitied that all these ''Yiee-haw'' parts in the Outlaws were non-interactive. Also, I want the player to really feel that bond with his animal. To rely on it, and also to be in charge of it. I want the player to pity the loss of his horse.

- Context-sensitive soundtrack. Like the Outlaws, but corresponding to what''s happening.

- Trenchcoat waving in the wind.

- Shooting from two revolvers simultaneously. Realistic reloads taking time (see Outlaws again).

+ everything bishop_pass said.
Now will somebody please make my dream come true?
quote:Original post by Chentzilla
- Improved horse factor. I so much pitied that all these ''Yiee-haw'' parts in the Outlaws were non-interactive. Also, I want the player to really feel that bond with his animal. To rely on it, and also to be in charge of it. I want the player to pity the loss of his horse.

Excellent! Develop a true communion between man and horse based on trust. The horse is a powerful, graceful and fast animal, but a relationship is necessary between man and animal before the full potential is realized.

And don''t forget, horse thieves are hung!

Lol, and to think that I thought of that idea this summer. There are many different weapons you could choose from too since most of them were hand made. I think that you could make a FPS that can change views to 3PS. You could make it like an RPG/FPS with 3PS option. I''ve got a storyline for such a game that I''ve been toying with for about a month now. You start out as an Undercover US Marshal on the trail of a notorius gang know as the Rustlers. Your first contact to finding the gang is the local banker at Dry Gultch...
Now I shall systematicly disimboule you with a .... Click here for Project Anime
If it''s going to be based around a single character, then I agree with the third-person action/adventure with RPG elements. I also think that the game should start when the character is very young, like Nevada Smith. Make him 17 or so, with good physical fitness, but little to no weaponcraft outside of hunting. Let the skills develop with real-time practice, like shooting cacti from horseback as you go from town to town.

Also, if it''s going to be a Western, there has to be the possibility of dying in the desert. You''ve gotta carry water, or find it, if you want to live out there. Not just you, but your horse as well.

Include a variety of factions, like lawmen, who are sparsely distributed but well-trained and like-minded, and cattle rustlers, who stick together but are essentially boobs.

Actually, this game might be best if it''s modelled on something like Grand Theft Auto III. A total moral vaccuum, in which you can join the US Marshalls or rob trains or assassinate Mexican politicians for a living. Apart from survival, all your goals would be self-set. you could get rich or live in a cave. It would be neat to see your face on a wanted poster, and watch your bounty rise, or else track down men with bounties on their heads and turn them in to the local law. Total freedom would really capture the lawless nature of the romantic fiction that is the Wild West.
This is more of a horror/western than straight up Old West, but you might be interested.

Priest MMORPG

-STC

---------------------------------------------------
-SpittingTrashcan

You can''t have "civilization" without "civil".
----------------------------------------------------SpittingTrashcanYou can't have "civilization" without "civil".
You know Iron Chef, you have a good point. Of course this game you're talking about sounds like it would work better with the Morrowwind setup with a few modifications.

You have stats on your rifles, pistols, lassos, and dynamite sticks. You have customizable starting stats with customizable character look. You could be with the Wild Bill Circus and travel with them for crying out loud!

Imagine seeing people dueling in the streets at noon or seeing old drunks clamering out of the saloon. Some of them just pass out in the street and others trip, fall onto a trauf, and vomit realy loud while their friends laugh at them.

You could win blackjack with the wrong person and then it could start a saloon brawl. Indians could stampede through the town off to war with the US soldiers that have been driving them back off their land. You could shoot a soldier because you think what their doing is wrong and then have a bounty on your head.

You could also join ranks with local gangs and work up a reputation that earns you xp. Anything could happen. You rob the bank and then gain more xp. Your class could change based on reputation. In fact, you might not even need a class system.

[edited by - smiley4 on December 9, 2002 4:04:28 PM]
Now I shall systematicly disimboule you with a .... Click here for Project Anime
In addition to all the stuff I said...

Bank robberies, gangs, wanted posters, hidden Spanish treasure, banditos, land grabs, drunks, the livery stable, grudges, stampedes, buffalo, tack & saddlery, mules, hogs, hats...

The sheriff makes the law in the town. Different towns have different laws. Some towns require you to check in your arms upon entry.

And the towns have such great names. Names like: Whiskey, Tombstone, Silverado, Purgatory, Bodie, Cerro Gordo...
Well, that would be a terrifically immersive world, and would be very conducive to character development. The only real obstacle to a good Wild West RPG is that death comes so easily there. If it''s to be one-player, you can just make the player character damn near invincible, like in GTA III, where you can absorb pound after pound of lead and then bring down the baddies with a few shots. For a MMORPG version, you''d have to make it very, very easy to create a character, since the more ambitious players will get blasted fairly regularly. Heck, I know people who play P&P RPGs with strict death rules, and they sometimes go through three or four characters in a single sitting. Just come back as their own son, and power on through.
quote:Original post by bishop_pass
From the high plains of Wyoming to the Rio Grande of Texas and further out west to the mining towns of the Sierra Nevada...

This genre isn''t exploited to its potential. No doubt some will claim that it doesn''t lend itself to play like a fantasy or sci-fi epic might, but that just isn''t true. The Western contains many of the classical elements any game could hope for.

Could not agree more. I have never understood why there are so few computer games for westerns and superheroes. These are some of the richest genres in pop culture, yet we can easily count the number of western games on one hand.

I suspect the reason for this is that these genres really lend themselves to a CRPG, and CRPGs are simply not popular with publishers. They take a lot of resources, and are notoriously difficult to test. When you add any deviation from the standard Tolkien ripoff world, the publishers panic.

Anyway, I''d vote for a (what else?) CRPG. If I never play an RTS again, that''d be fine with me. I loved Outlaws, so I would give an FPS a chance, but I really doubt I''d stick to it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement