• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bishop_pass

The Western: FPS? RPG? RTS?

107 posts in this topic

If you fear such textures would eat up computing time, remember that such textures can be generated offline and saved, just as an artist would, the difference being the sheer quantity of different textures that could be generated.

But with the advent of realtime pixel shaders, the potential exists for dynamic runtime generation, thus allowing texures with no resolution limit and an infinite number available during gameplay.

Either way is a win situation.

I think the character should be painfully mortal, otherwise the game loses the western feel. You should give him one-three ''lives'' (Random for each character), so that the first time he''s shot in a manner that would kill him, instead he''s just disfigured, so that the head shot leaves him dead, but it turns out he''s just got a long, nasty scar.

This means the main character will die a lot, but it''s unavoidable, and makes it more interesting when he survives. One of the mitigating factors is that firearms of the time were for the most part terribly inaccurate and that the hero will be a significantly better shot than your average bandito or posse member.

To make up for the mortality issue, have the player create a whole gang of characters, and at certain points in the game switch characters. This way, when one dies it isn''t quite so traumatic. By the same vein, if one gets throne in a Mexican prison, you can bust him out.

By the way, it''s the Sioux up north, what''s left of the Cherokee are in Oklahoma, ok. (l-a-h-o-m-a, OKLAHOMA, OK!)

I personally think this is a great idea If you guys are really serious about working on this, I would be glad to help. I do programming (c++/directX), and i''m a halfway decent 3d modeler (Truespace 4). And yes, I actually own my software.

Let me know, or email me at ktulu81@optonline.net.

I would be really interested in seeing some type of project along these lines. Kudos on the idea Bishop_Pass!

I would be very interested in, as a start, the 3d modeling of props and the development of software for realtime rendering of those props, including the development of spec sheets for those props.

Props that fascinate me the most at this point are horses, guns, and gambling equipment.

If some of you would like to tackle the modeling of these props, I''ve got lots of good reference images (better than the ones posted so far). I would like to work on the rendering code myself.

I''m interested in detail and authenticity. I want high polygon count models. Polygons can be reduced through LOD techniques procedurally. I would rather start with high detail and high polygon counts and remove detail progressively, than start with low detail and polygon counts with no ability to add polygonal resoltion later without remodeling the objects.

quote:
Original post by bishop_pass
I would be very interested in, as a start, the 3d modeling of props and the development of software for realtime rendering of those props, including the development of spec sheets for those props.

Props that fascinate me the most at this point are horses, guns, and gambling equipment.

If some of you would like to tackle the modeling of these props, I''ve got lots of good reference images (better than the ones posted so far). I would like to work on the rendering code myself.

I''m interested in detail and authenticity. I want high polygon count models. Polygons can be reduced through LOD techniques procedurally. I would rather start with high detail and high polygon counts and remove detail progressively, than start with low detail and polygon counts with no ability to add polygonal resoltion later without remodeling the objects.

I started on a 3d version of the colt. Seems to be progressing decently so far. I''ll probably need some better quality images for the textures, however, as the jpeg is too pixelated.

Will post soon with how it is coming along. Unfortunately, like you said, it is pretty high polygon count. VERY high. Simplification is a must.

I have read many of the posts on this topic, and am very intirested. If you are going to push this through, I would like to help. My programming skills are next to none, as is my 3d modeling, but i can help with Character, and setting development, if you want it (both of which i feel are just as important as the graphics). Let me know if you want my help.

Ok, as far as I can tell, the following people have expressed an interest in actually working on this project/a project like this:

• smiley4
  • Polish
  • ktuluorion
  • Fallen_soul

I listed a set of roles earlier in this thread that would need to be fulfilled, minimally, for such a project (my vision of the project, anyway). Those who are interested, please state exactly which roles you would like to contribute to.

3D Modeler

General systems programmer

I would be glad to contribute to both of these. I will be honest, I am not the best 3d modeler, but surely not the worst. I''m sure I could help out in that aspect.

My primary interest would be helping with programming, of course.

Also, i''m curious, is this intended to be an MMORPG or something else? It seems like it could lend itself well to almost any style.

Let me know what I can get working on. I''ve been working a bit on 3d modelling a colt revolver, but its slow going, and I don''t have too much time for the next week because I am dealing with finals, so studying is taking the priority.

After that, i''ll have plenty of time!

Perhaps we should set up some type of forum or website for this project. I have webspace at piebert.netfirms.com, and would be glad to allocate some space for this.

quote:
    Original post by ktuluorion
    Perhaps we should set up some type of forum or website for this project. I have webspace at piebert.netfirms.com, and would be glad to allocate some space for this.

Can you set up a forum for us? Something with a layout sort of like the GameDev forums? I know there are free forum sites to set up private forums - I just don''t know which one to use or what ones are available.

I''ve always been interested in interior/exterior wild-west house design, and i''m studying art. I''m kinda interested in working with this... Drawing/design mainly, i suck at 3d.

I have a few good reference books here at home as well

quote:
    [quote]Original post by ktuluorion

Can you set up a forum for us? Something with a layout sort of like the GameDev forums? I know there are free forum sites to set up private forums - I just don''t know which one to use or what ones are available.

Will surely look into it. I''ll try to have something up tonight.

bishop:
    Can't say I'm good for much right now outside design work, but I'm most handy as a critic and a problem-spotter/solver. Feed me a design document if/when you get one handy and I can get back to you relatively quickly on what I spot as points of concern.
    Nice job with the Wyoming town listing, btw.

-Ryan "Run_The_Shadows"
    -Run_The_Shadows@excite.com
    -The Navidson Record! The best film you'll never see!

[edited by - Run_The_Shadows on December 15, 2002 12:13:07 PM]

I''m intirested in design for any of the aspects. Possibly char development depending on where you want to take the game.

Friends may come and go.....
    but enemies accumulate

quote:
    Original post by ktuluorion

Any luck with getting somethign set up?

quote:
    [quote]Original post by ktuluorion

Any luck with getting somethign set up?

I tried fiddling with Frontpage and did some default thing, but it is ugly as hell and no good. I''m gonna have to look for another or try to fix this up so it works...

Basically I just ran out of time because I have a final tomorrow morning and had to study

YOu can see what I did on the webpage, but it aint pretty