BG path finding

Started by
5 comments, last by Emagen 23 years, 11 months ago
Hi everybody - Does anyone know how Baldurs Gate do path finding? Like what kind of algorithm or methodology that they use? Thanks
Advertisement
I think they use A*, but I am not sure. I felt sorry for the pathfinding programmer when I entered the maze near the end of the game. I mean some of the maps in Baldur''s make it a nightmare on a programmer.

I have read that they will be allowing characters to push each other out of the way in BG II. I allow pushing in my game Zenfar and it helps out quite a bit. If a character is standing still, allow another character to move them a few pixels out of the way.

Glen
http://www.zenfar.com
Glen Martin
Dynamic Adventures Inc.
Zenfar
Judging by the screams of my housemate who plays BG a lot, they don''t use any pathfinding whatsoever

If some of the locations are a bit difficult to navigate through, you''d think they''d code some sort of waypoint system into the map to simplify things. But as it is, the characters seem to have real problems in narrow tunnels and the like.
Yes, BG had horrendous pathfinding. It was so bad it totaly ruined the experience for me, and I only played the first 1/4 of the game.

Possibility
I still enjoyed the game... It is important to remember that the shortest path is not always the most logical. For instance I would not want a character wandering away from the party just because there is a shorter path to the end goal.

I like the waypoing idea could be quite useful.

Glen Martin
Dynamic Adventures Inc.
Zenfar
quote:Original post by glenrm

I still enjoyed the game... It is important to remember that the shortest path is not always the most logical. For instance I would not want a character wandering away from the party just because there is a shorter path to the end goal.

Yes, but quite often I saw characters going the ''long way round'', through a trapped room or cavern full of monsters, just because they couldn''t reach the precise point they had wished to get to by any other way Some sort of fuzziness would have helped here.
It had to have been A*, or a variation of it. I also saw the guys "taking the long way" around things if another guy was standing in the way.

It''s great, send your party to attack, and the wizard starts running the opposite direction around the mountain... only to find the second enemy camp you didn''t know about. *RELOAD*

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement