Why Nothing for Writers?

Started by
4 comments, last by Landfish 23 years, 11 months ago
In another forum, we made a destinction between the writer and the designer. If there are people in game development who could stand to brush up on their storytelling skills (and beleive me, there are) why does Gamedev.net not have a resource for them? There are several great books on the subject, I personally recommend "Writing for Interactive Media" by Samsell and Wimberly. But I think that Gamedev.net could probably help some people out in this deparment. Where does the Landfish live? Everywhere. Is not the Landfish the Buddha?
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
Advertisement
I agree with you, being a game designer/writer myself I cannot stress that the two fields are very different and do deserve to be thought of as different.

But really this forum is just a place for GENERAL conceptual and pre-code stuff having to do with games. Any inquiries about writing you have just post here.

Alex
Atypical Interactive
www.atypical-interactive.com
------------------------------Changing the future of adventure gaming...Atypical Interactive
Thanks Atyp.
I have found GDNet as a GREAT resource, but is it possible that we might create documented support for game writing? I posted this here because the Design forum is where all of the Writing issues are usually addressed.

Design is design, programming is programming, art is art, music is music. They are all aspects of production and they all have their own support on GDNet. But what about writing?

My main concern is that game writing requires a host of new skills that a writer MUST learn to participate. Writing for a game is actually much harder than writing for any
"traditional" medium, and very few people have the knowledge to use their full potential in writing games.
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
Our policy on creating new forums is to wait for there to be enough traffic to warrant it. If we made a section just for writing now most likely it would remain dead.

So its best to just use game design as the proper section until enough traffic warrants it.

-Geoff
Thanks Geoff. I realized later that it should be that way. However, I will likely keep discussing this in the other forum, just to work out some issues, and to try and encourage people to distinguish between writing and designing. (not that you can''t do both =)
Ok, I think we''ve answered the question.

Thanks, everyone.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement