• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thekid

D3D .asc loader

This topic is 6927 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I need the source for a d3d .asc file loader I am working on one myself but I am a little stuck

Advertisement
Yes .asc It is a 3d file format that ouputs the data to a kind of text file called a .asc file.

Does anyone have any source??

I have the source for a loader, but it would probably help you more if you wrote your own. ASC files are really simple to parse and understand. Just look at one. If I gave you my source it would assume you use the same data-structures as I do and you probably don''t. So take a look at the file, it''s all there. Number of verts, polys. Then vert list, then poly list. Easy! Cheers!

I am have problems with the parsing code. So can anyone at least tell me where I can get the code to do the parsing?

Guest Anonymous Poster
This site may be helpful, it gives some code to parse .asc files into Glide structures. It''s really a pretty simple format.

http://home.swipnet.se/~w-67924/3dfxPS/Tutorials/tut1.htm

endgame00

I use .ase (from 3dsMAX) all the time. It looks like .asc is a 3ds DOS format and completely different. Do people still use 3d Studio DOS?

I have to agree with Mr. Goat here. (the Anal one)I tackled this file format back in January, and the experience of creating a parser for the file will COMPLETELY change your understanding of 3D Studio. Parsing the file is easy as long as you have these 2 functions:

1-Create a function to search for a text string
2-Create a function to convert a string of numbers into a float

I don''t bother with the mapping normals, I instead use D3DDLVERTEX. You can get 3DS to spit out the correct vertex order for you. Does this help any?

Rather then giving up (tempting) tell us where you are stuck, and we can help dig you out of your trench.

Demetrios Georgeadis
Director/Programmer
Oniera Software Artists
www.oniera.com

Ok I think I have everything loading correctly!!! BUT I have an huge problem now. I cannot get it to the screen. I realize that the coordinate system in my 3d modeler is different from d3d''s (I use TrueSpace3) so how do I get the vector values into d3d vector values? OR am I totally lost? I create 3 D3DVERTEXes (any type) then create them with there initializers using a D3DVECTOR type with the x,y,z coordinates from the file. I am so lost I have been working on this loader for 4-days solid and I am so STUCK

any help would be very appreciated

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!