OpenGL: 80-90 FPS without any drawing

Started by
38 comments, last by bluemoon 21 years, 4 months ago
How can that be...I initialized OpenGL and I am not rendering anything (except for a nice and clear black screen). Well I can do what I want...the maximum Framerate lies aroud 90 FPS. If I do draw some (simple objects) the Framerate stays at 80 - 90 FPS. Lets say for example 400 Quads(1 Quad = 12 Triangles), with no culling and clipping, i still get between 80 and 90 FPS. But the framerate never goes higher than 90. It cannot really be my system: AMD Thunderbird 1333 MHz 256 MB DDR RAM Windows 98SE GeForce2 GTS (ASUS) (OpenGL Driver Version 1.2.1) I know that 80 FPS are way enough for nice and smooth movement but what could be the reason for this ?
Advertisement
Most likely your problem is V-Sync. With V-Sync on your applications can only render as fast as your monitor refreshes. So if your monitors refresh is 80hz you''ll get 80FPS. Turn off V-Sync and you will not have this limitation.
I think you problem may be that your refresh rate is capping your frame rate... I can''t offer any other suggestions on how to change this because I''ve never used OpenGl.

Hth
I think you problem may be that your refresh rate is capping your frame rate... I can''t offer any other suggestions on how to change this because I''ve never used OpenGl.

Hth
Thank you very much...The Problem was the VSync.

When not drawing anything i get around 290 FPS (maximized window, 1024x768)

When drawing the 400 Quads (actually a field of Quads right next to each other) i get around 110 FPS (4800 Triangles with no clipping or culling).

Do those values sound OK to you (taking my system into consideration) ?
Are your quads textured or not?

Height Map Editor
you should just lie about your processor clock and say 1337 instead of 1333 MHZ
System:

AMD Athlon 800 MHz (slot)
1024 MB DDR RAM
Windows XP Pro.
GeForce2 GTS (ASUS)
(OpenGL Driver Version ?)

Empty Scene:
~460 fps

11520 Triangles, 2 Lights, Shadow Volumes,
~150 fps backface culling
~100 fps no backface culling

No, your values do sound a little low to me

[edited by - Wildfire on December 12, 2002 4:30:11 PM]
How do I set my laser printer on stun?
I guess it depends on how bih his polys are. If they are big enogugh, to fill the screen a few times, and ''eat'' a lot of fill ration, then his results are normal. Otherwise, no.

Height Map Editor
It really is slow...

the 110 FPS with 400 quads (4800 Triangles) is really slow... :-(
because i wasnt using any lights and i didnt even Texture them.

Well I tried it now with textured Quads the FPS goes down to 15-20 FPS...what the hell (still no culling and clipping though)
+ the movement speed is not constant it goes up and down like a "sine wave"...

@ Raduprv: The Quads are drawn like this: the center point is located at (0,0,0) (before the object is moved) and now each Vertex of the Quad (8 Vertices) is drawn one Unit away from the Center(for example the upper left Vertex(the one that is closet to you): (-1,1,1).
You can move "through the field of Quads" beeing 2 units raised so that you are actually not moving through them.

So it is really slow...I must have done something really wrong here.

@ Wildfire: Could you post the drawing routines of your little Application to see how you are doing that and how you structured the data ?

[edited by - bluemoon on December 12, 2002 4:49:09 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement