• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Squall012

RPG making questions

This topic is 6952 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Nah, just asking more stuff, and wondering why in other games the timer also determines what is being done.
when I meant reload the game, the game isn''t restarted, it is put exactly in the same position it was before...
it''s like a detour

Save here
------------------*--------Battle
after reload \
\
\ no battle

after reloading the games save I think all the variables are the same, so the only thing that might matter is how much time you took to take the steps(move the character)
? ohwell nevermind. Understand now?

Advertisement
Ok, i think we can do that by using the method posted above. Ok, you randomly pick a number (make it high so you don''t have TOO many random encounters, make it between 200 and 300) then count down to zero. So when it reaches 0, you go into a battle. So far so good. Then you save the game, and it saves that number right? Ok ok...follow me here, I''m thinking as we go. Ok, say you die after encountering a huge super strong monster, and you reload the game. The way to avoid going into a battle at the same time could be solved doing this:

When you load that var back in, the one containing how many steps until the next battle, just make another random number and store it to that var.

Let''s say this is what happens after you load it right?
ENCOUNTER=15;

So you don''t have to encounter another battle in 15 steps, just reset the var to the new rand number.

ENCOUNTER=rand()%301; //make the random number
ENCOUNTER+100; //do this so you don''t have an encounter less than 100 steps.

does that make some sense? think that will work for us?

I wasn''t asking how you did it, just wondering how and why in ff3 it does...
ohwell, but yeah...that is what I''m saying, after reloading make some variables re-initialize?..ohwell thanks for the chat.

The only people who know how/why something is done in a FF game are the developers a Square. We can only guess.

In answer to your post above about town NPCs walking around, you can handle that almost the same way as your random battles. After standing still for a certain amount of time there''s a % chance that they''ll move in some random direction for a random period of time. There should be a minimum time that they stand still and a minimum time they walk before they stop, otherwise they may act pretty spastic sometimes.

Do you know any other things that Square programmer''s can do? Or have idea''s of how they do it? Like how do they make item and magic lists? Any ideas? I jsut want to know more on how people can think of ways to mimic what square can do.

I don''t know how to..
but maybe, your procedures..
a list?
with strings also, that is what the user see
the game see the seg and offset of the procedure?
and they just put the procedure into a list if that spell etc is available?

This posting has not really that much to do with the preceeding posts. I was just wondering if either of you could send me a screenshot of your work so far. I would be interested in seeing it.

* FrozenSky *

quote:
Original post by Squall012
Like how do they make item and magic lists? Any ideas? I jsut want to know more on how people can think of ways to mimic what square can do.

When it comes to lists of stuff, I have created a base class or structure that has a unique ID number, a Keyname, A KeyCode, an object type and other stuff.
I also have a set of linked-list functions that load them onto a linked list and sorts them different ways and extracts the items by type of KeyCode or (rarely) ID#.

I have lists for inventory items, weapons, skills, and injuries. I have them all stored on spreadsheets. I save the spreadsheets to CSV (comma-separated values) format. I thin parse them into my game engine on the linked lists. I'll be adding events, armour, magic items and magic spells.

ZoomBoy
Developing a 2D RPG with skills, weapons, and adventure.
See my character editor, Tile editor, diary, 3D Art resources at
Check out my web-site

Edited by - ZoomBoy on 5/5/00 11:08:14 PM

I would show screen shots if I could take them. For some reason whenever I try to do the printscreen command and paste it in paint, it wont work at all! So, if I can get that working, I''ll put some up.

Anyone know any programs to do it?

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!