• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mithrandir

Representing an objects orientation in 3d... help please?

This topic is 6933 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Okay, I''ve been madly designing a really nice 3d engine for the past few weeks, and it just hit me... How do i represent an object''s orientation in 3d? i had originally planned on just using 3 angles to represent it, when I realised... wow, thats complex. Not only are angles susceptible to ''Gimbal Lock'', but they need to be defined in a specific order too. So, i''ve been researching into different ways to represent an objects orientation, and I came up with the idea that two vectors should be enough to represent an object. One vector to represent where the object is pointing, and the other to represent its ''roll'' along the axis of the first vector. Is this method reccomended? I''d like to know people''s opinions on this subject. Also, would it be better to represent an objects change in orientation relatively, or absolutely? I think relative would be better, that way, I can have an object rotate along its own axis, instead of the world axis. Are there any formulas for defining a vectors rotation around an arbitrary axis, as opposed to a rigid axis? =============================================== "Tell brave deeds of war." Then they recounted tales, -- "There were stern stands And bitter runs for glory." Ah, I think there were braver deeds.

Advertisement
A lot of programmers use some sort of matrix. Don't know how it works, just that everybody uses them.

Edited by - CobraA1 on 4/30/00 3:08:30 PM

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!