OpenGL ( Glow )

Started by
4 comments, last by Xero-X2 21 years, 4 months ago
I have a space craft I just designed and I need add some FX to it to make it look good, Im going to add Cubemapping to the Window. But I Also Need the back of the ship to glow as it moves but the standard particals cut into the spacecraft if the camera were to turn. So I need to make a glow effect that will look good! I found an example that would be suitable to what kind of effect I would like, If you don''t know what I want you can find in the Nvidia Effect Browser on the effect named Flare (CG) It doesn''t need to have that good of an effect but It needs to be like that so It won''t cut the model. Thanks.
"I seek knowledge and to help those who also seek it"
Advertisement
try to do this :

glDepthMask(GL_FALSE);

...Draw your glow effect (dont desable Depth buffer)
... I think your glow should be in Blend Mode...

glDepthMask(GL_TRUE);

DUK engine

Troa Technologies.
(3d game development)
No the Ship will show though the effect because of the camera and the views that will go by I im useing Billboarding so if the ship is viewed from the side then half of the glow will be inside the ship. this is a bad thing! the only way I see to do a good glow is the do a volumetric extrude off the model, you know like in all those 3d shooters where you see windows with light shining in. off the back and make the model the same color side of the glow with perhaps some particals and some glow modifications.. I guess thats what I''ll do sence no one seems to know any way to do this..
You could somehow define the point on the ship that glows, and do a ray trace to the viewpoint to see if that point intersects any geometry - and if it does, don't draw the glow.

If you really want to get snazzy, you can keep track of the size of the glow and make it diminish or brighten gradually as it passes into/out of viewability.

My next big attempt at this kind of graphics will involve saving all these glows points for last. That way, the glows cover all geometry as if they are affecting the viewer's eyes. Should be kinda cool, when it happens.

[edited by - Waverider on December 16, 2002 7:36:42 PM]
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
Nice Idea but the main problem is just getting it so that it is billboared to look correct and so It looks like the glow is happening on your Eye because that is where it would take place, the main problem is that the particals and stuff are cut by the ship geometry.
What if you draw all glows last in the scene, turning off depth testing?

[edited by - Waverider on December 17, 2002 3:58:39 PM]
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement