• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MetalWorX

Linux Sucks!! Leave Gates alone

This topic is 6923 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I think that DOJ is just taking MS on a big ride. Intigrating IE into windows was a great idea. you wont have installation hassles , just as MS integrated directx. netscape cannot bring a competent browser, so it blames MS for losing out. i bet the DOJ is using MS-Word to write the lawsuit stuff. whay can they just leave MS Alone. as for linux, the whole GNU concept is foolish, u can never take it as a serious desktop replacement OS

Advertisement
I will probably get flamed by MS haters, but I find myself agreeing. Internet Explorer is a as much a part of windows as Windows Explorer is. I don''t agree that Linux sucks though, but its not very good for unexperienced users.

Netscape sucks N E wayz. When I had it I couldn''t get most anything on my computer to work and mostly everything crashed. Now that it''s deleted everything is back to normal.

>> netscape cannot bring a competent browser

I''ve used Netscape for four years now with no problems. I find it to be more stable and more reliable than IE.

>> as for linux, the whole GNU concept is foolish, u can never take it as a serious desktop replacement OS

What, pray tell, do you know about GNU? Can you even tell me what it stands for without looking it up? I have a feeling you will be eating your words eventually.

If Microsoft is/was such a great innovator that puts out such great products, why would they need to stoop to illegal activities? I''m interested in seeing how this whole ordeal turns out. Hopefully, it will undo the wrong Microsoft has done to the industry.

Competition - it''s a new word for Microsoft''s vocabulary.
Choice - it''s a new word for 95% of the market.

Josh
http://www.jh-software.com

Oh, really? We''ll see how long you think Microsoft is so awful when everybody starts increasing prices on software and dev kits. Up until now, Microsoft''s innovation of giving dev kits (like DirectX) away for free has caused other companies to follow suit.
Trust me, Microsoft-haters...this may have a negative ripple effect on the industry that you weren''t planning on.

What is the beste office package ?
MS Office

Best Browser ?
MS internet explorer

Best C compiler ?
MS VC++

Best BASIC IDE ?
MS BV

Best mail program ?
MS Outlook

Best gaming OS ?
MS Win98

I think there is a REASON why they are on the top...

I don't hate Microsoft and I don't hate Linux (not that I use it *shudder*) but I do think that the DOJ needs to think this through more carefully. Why? Read this:

http://www.arstechnica.com/wankerdesk/2q00/doj-1.html

This is, IMO, the best summary of the situation i've read.

And while i'm here i'll second everything in tcs's above post.

Edited by - pixelated on 5/1/00 7:47:20 AM

quote:

Oh, really? We''ll see how long you think Microsoft is so awful when everybody starts increasing prices on software and dev kits. Up until now, Microsoft''s innovation of giving dev kits (like DirectX) away for free has caused other companies to follow suit.
Trust me, Microsoft-haters...this may have a negative ripple effect on the industry that you weren''t planning on.

Nobody forces you to buy those kits. You could develop under Linux and not pay a dime. Surely you''ve heard of Open Source? The Microsoft way is not the only way.

>> What is the beste office package ?
>> MS Office

Bet you''ve never used anything else, right?

>> Best Browser ?
>> MS internet explorer

Sorry, Netscape wins here.

>> Best C compiler ?
>> MS VC++

For games, I agree (only because of the debugger). For any other windows app, Borland C++ Builder wins hands down.

>> Best BASIC IDE ?
>> MS BV

You have got to be kidding me? ...BASIC?

>> Best mail program ?
>> MS Outlook

Ever used an alternative?

>> Best gaming OS ?
>> MS Win98

Best? Well, it''s the most widely used. If that''s what you use to judge "best" by, then I guess you must be right. Most stable? Ha!

>> I think there is a REASON why they are on the top...

Yes, and I''ll sum it up: ILLEGAL BUSINESS PRACTICES.

>> I don''t hate Linux (not that I use it *shudder*)

You should give Linux a try. It''s not nearly as difficult to use as Microsoft supporters would like you to believe. It''s also nice to use your computer without wondering when everything''s going to disappear and a big blue screen will appear.

Josh

Pls let me know how Netscape is a better browser. wake up and smell the coffee. ie5 is much faster and has neat features like autocomplete. netscape was written using MSVC++ for MSWindows. if the browser was that good, why would they make it free (after MS made IE free, monopoly was no the reason any way). and since you are in a game dev forum. neither netscape nor any other company would release a directx for free. checkout their speech recognition SDK, platform sdk and others, they are free despite no competition. if windows wasnt good, ppl would want it.

think about this ''JOSH''. you might be thinking that it is kool to be a MS-Hater. but you are just a senseless wimp. i bet you are using windows now.

quote:
Original post by MetalWorX

Pls let me know how Netscape is a better browser. wake up and smell the coffee. ie5 is much faster and has neat features like autocomplete. netscape was written using MSVC++ for MSWindows. if the browser was that good, why would they make it free (after MS made IE free, monopoly was no the reason any way). and since you are in a game dev forum. neither netscape nor any other company would release a directx for free. checkout their speech recognition SDK, platform sdk and others, they are free despite no competition. if windows wasnt good, ppl would want it.

think about this ''JOSH''. you might be thinking that it is kool to be a MS-Hater. but you are just a senseless wimp. i bet you are using windows now.

I feel Netscape is a better browser because of my personal experience. Years ago, I purchased Netscape Navigator. Very rarely did it ever crash on me. When it did, it didn''t take down anything else. Then comes IE. Crashed all the time and when it did, I had to reboot every time. Because IE is so integrated, when it dies, everything goes with it.

Do you know why Microsoft is making IE and all these SDKs free? It surely isn''t out of the kindness of their heart. They want developers. Developers develop software and software attracts users. It''s all a part of their monopoly plans.

>> if windows wasnt good, ppl would want it

Your inability to type has actually made a good point. I''ll let it speak for itself.

I am not an Microsoft hater. I am against any company that hinders innovation and crushes competition. A senseless wimp? That''s funny. Your intellegence level makes it unneccessary for me sling insults. As for me using Windows now. Of course I am, but not by choice. Microsoft''s monopoly streches far and wide.

Josh

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!