Background is slooow!

Started by
2 comments, last by Rudan 23 years, 11 months ago
I have made a background in my openGL game with a big textured quad in the background. But when I did that the fps dropped from 250 to 150. Anyone know a better way to do it?
-----------------------------Reporter: Are they slow-moving, chief?Sheriff: Yeah, they're dead. They're all messed up.-Night of the living dead
Advertisement
U could use read/copy pixel functions, and draw into the frame buffer before any other rendering, u could either store the immage in memory or in a side buffer if one is available. I think this is all posible and quicker, but I mabee wrong, so I apologise if this was no help.
Hi Rudan,

As far as I know, using a textured quad is the best way to do what you are talking about (a 2D bitmap background, yes?). Avoid the OpenGL raster functions like the plague... they are REALLY slow.

Sounds to me like you''re being a little greedy What are you gonna do with 250 fps anyway? 150 is still pretty good.
(I know, I know... the more frames, the better... just teasing )

-------------
squirrels are a remarkable source of protein...
Plus it all depends what he has up so far! What if that the only thing he has up.... The you can just watch the litle Frame troll come and take your frame rate away!
Hardcore Until The End.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement