• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nathany

What versions of DX come with Windows?

This topic is 6931 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I know that WinNT comes with DirectX 2 and is updated to v3 by installing SP3+ and that DPlay is upgraded a couple times with further SPs (DPlay 6.1a with SP5) But what I''m wondering is, what versions of Direct X come preinstalled with: Windows 95 Windows 98 Windows 98 Second Edition Someone will probably ask me why I''m asking, so here goes: I''m thinking about making small, fun little games which can be played by newbies and distributed easily. What I don''t necessarily do is develop for DirectX 7/8 and require that everyone has to download the latest DX runtime, which is 2-3x larger than the game itself. It''s just a thought, I may change my mind as I get to know the version differences better. But thanks to anyone who knows the answer to the above question, or specifically where to find it. - n8
nathany.com

Advertisement
i found it by plaing Starcraft

1.First i had Win95...and i had to install DX5 to play..
so Win95 has DX4(or DX3 ?) anyway
2.Second i upgrade to Win98...and game works with no DX install
so Win98 has DX5 installed but anyway
3. I try it on WinNT 4.0 (no SP) and i had to install DX5 to make it work
so win NT 4.0 has DX4 (or DX3 ?) anyway
hope this help

Hm.
Well there was no DX4 [released], so Win95 must be DX3... but perhaps even older than that?

6.x with Win98 sounds about right. Chances are I will either target 3 or 7/8 so the exact version of this one isn't that important.

bogdanontanu: the forum supports HTML, so it probably is chopping your < > signs. Try using < or > instead.

A related question: does anyone know what version of DirectX for WinCE 3.0 supports [i.e. Pocket PC]. I think it's probably 6.x, but I'm not sure.

- n8

nathany.com

Edited by - nathany on 5/1/00 9:16:49 PM

Hey dude,
I thought of doing this once. You''d be better off boning up on Device Independent Bitmaps. You can make a DIB ''surface'' and then put all your sprites on it, and then dump that to a window''s background without using directX at all. Then you can use wavemix.dll to do sounds.

If you''re interested, I have some examples. The first windows game I did was this way. It runs at okay speed, as long as you don''t stretch the DIB, and even then it runs okay as long as you stretch it by a power of two.

If you''re just doing some simple games, like old arcade simulations or something, this would be a good way to go.

-- Goodlife

-----------------------------
Think of your mind as a door on a house. Leave the door always closed, and it's not a house, it's a prison. Leave the door always open, and it's not a house, it's a wilderness-- all the vermin creep in.

Actually...

Win95 does not come with DirectX what s ever it has to be installed.

Win98 comes with DX 5 installed.

and NT4 with sp3 has minimal Dx3.

Windows CE Direct X is a special flavour.... not much has been released about it yet. But here''s what I know:-

- Only DDraw and DSound.

Errr.... guess I don''t know anything much actually...

Well I''m keeping my eye on this actually, very interested on this topic.

-------------------------
-Now Working on Pokemon like Engine!

quote:
Original post by voodoo
Actually...
Win95 does not come with DirectX what s ever it has to be installed.
Win98 comes with DX 5 installed.
and NT4 with sp3 has minimal Dx3.

Thanks!

Goodlife: Not so much simple games as small games. I entered into the gamedev.net contest a game called SHMUP which is using DX3, but it has scrolling and such. I don''t think I want to try scrolling in GDI. That was 2 days of coding... if I completed a game like that it would be kind of what I''m after.

I''m thinking "Inbox games" that people can mail around. Having a 1MB game that requires a 6MB DirectX runtime seems a bit lame. If I decide to go with bigger games though, than I will probably target DX8 (1st beta is almost ready).

One important question with all this though. I know DirectDraw hasn''t been enhanced much over the years. But what about the other components, esp. sound/music?

Anyway, I still haven''t decided what to do, but thanks for all the help everyone!

- n8

nathany.com

quote:
Original post by Marauderz
Windows CE Direct X is a special flavour.... not much has been released about it yet. But here''s what I know:-
- Only DDraw and DSound.
Errr.... guess I don''t know anything much actually...
Well I''m keeping my eye on this actually, very interested on this topic.

Well, I know that WinCE 3 has support for DirectX... and that DreamCast uses WinCE/DirectX 6.x. And also that the dev tools will be free.

Theoretically one could write a cross-platform game by using a subset of windows and a given version of DirectX or whatever subset WinCE supports. Sounds kind of interesting...

- n8

nathany.com

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!