Should I redo my engine with DX9?

Started by
14 comments, last by IFooBar 21 years, 4 months ago
Thanks for the replies. Ill make the change. Since it wont take that long and I wont be done with the engine for another year or something. Im still in uni so I figure I have a lot of time.

Hopefully I finish before dx10 comes out

:::Al:::
[Triple Buffer V2.0] - Resource leak imminent. Memory status: Fragile
[size=2]aliak.net
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Subotron
That''s quite some years back... my last recall is DirectX4... That''s when I started to install games and they always said "Requires DirectX v[int]"

There never was a DirectX 4... Microsoft went directly from DirectX 3 to DirectX 5.

- Andy Oxfeld

Then it''s 3 I remember! jay! Cuz my first version was the one be4 DirectX5 :D

cool then! :D
I don''t think you should make the switch YET. Finish your engine and get it working on current-old hardware for support as that is what players what. Then, if both time and support allow, rewrite your core engine code. See, if you keep changing your code to support the lastest, you''ll be 1.) losing support from older gamers and 2.) spending useless time rewriting parts of your engine when more important parts could be added and changed. Well thats at least my opp.

---
Brent Gunning | My Site
I was originally going to post a reply, along the lines of "Why do it cuz you dont need to"..

Well that still stands as you get nothing out of moving from 8.1 to 9.0 (Unless you have a Radeon 9X00 or GF-FX sample). You can use anything that your card doesnt support in HW, so backwards compat is maintained anyways...

But, against my own reservations. I figured what the heck, ill do it anyways!

The rendering portion of my engine is very isolate (one file - perfectly abstracted as i have an OGL renderer as well) and honestly it took only 20 minutes to update the code (~1000 lines). 90% of the time all I had to do was change an 8 to a 9.

This is nothing like moving from 7 to 8, pretty painless. Hopefully this will help you in your decision...
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Well that still stands as you get nothing out of moving from 8.1 to 9.0 (Unless you have a Radeon 9X00 or GF-FX sample). You can use anything that your card doesnt support in HW, so backwards compat is maintained anyways...

you get quite a bunch of additional features.. you get occlusion queries, you get vs2 (in software processing mode at least.. so on gf2 cards, it doesn''t mather), you get hlsl for the shaders, wich is quite nice imho, among other stuff..

but, if you don''t need those features, you don''t need to move to dx9 with your engine.

"take a look around" - limp bizkit
www.google.com
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement