Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coder42

Effective map storing on disk or databases?

In the question about the best way to store huge datapacks (as zones/maps), could someone enlighten me about the most effective procedure? Im thinking your own filebased map file VS. some, say mysql, database. And if for instance you used a database, how would you store the data at hand? The scenario is lots of terrain, objects (houses, npc''s, tree etc.), event points (spawns, sounds etc) and the like... Most of this is fairly easy.. you could just store alle the object with a LOC, DIR and STATE, but how do you store the terrain? And should the terrain be some binary data in your own datafile...? Regards

Massive is a subjective term......

On client, memory by choice, disk file if fast access is required (probably compressed for fast load and fast uncompress)

On server, memory by choice, mySQL/SQL Server/Oracle for serious amounts of data. Nothing can match a real database server for serious data retrieval.

But unfortunately that''s about as general as your question.

As with everything.... design first (ensuring future alteration isn''t project crippling), implement prototype, get system working with prototype, optimise for what works best for you.

Ok maybe i wasnt making myself clear enough

The thing i was looking for was actual information regarding storing of for example terrain maps. And if it would be better to store them in a disk file or database, and how the format would be.

I already know about prototypes, and have designed my code after it so far. So it is more a specific questiona about storing of huge landscapes.

Thanks anyway :o