• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Deficite

DX 8 SDK vs DX 9 SDK

This topic is 5779 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I''m not sure whether or not to change to dx 9 sdk just yet, i''m only running on a GeForce 3 card. But I sure would like to try it out! So I have a few questions for you guys: 1) Is it possible to run dx 8 sdk and dx 9 sdk at the same time and develop dx apps with both? 2) I don''t want to mess up my current projects by installing dx 9, so is it possible to return to dx 8.1 runtime if something goes wrong with my current programs(compiled with dx 8.1)? 3) Is there a "Create Dx 9 project" in VS.NET now? 4) Is it great? =) Regards, Deficite

Advertisement
1) all the versions of directx are compatible with eachother, that is what versioning is. How do you think all your games that use DX7 still work when you installed DX8 ?

2) its pretty easy to convert your apps from DX8 to DX9 if you are using the un-managed part of DX9

3) yes, there is an app wizard, and the same create device, vertex buffer creation, lighting, and all those basic tutorials that are in DX8 (im doing a quick run-down of them now to get used to managed dx)

4) yes, it is amazing. Managed DX is quite a bit simpler than C++ DX, reminds me a bit like OpenGL where everything just "works", yet its even more object oriented and better layed out than even DX8.

Just get it and learn it its amazing

Hello again,

Thanx for the replies. The reason for me asking question 1 is that when i converted from runtime 8.0 to runtime 8.1 something got fucked-up and some programs begun running slow as hell. Question two should be: Is it possible to un-install direct x 9 runtime ( and sdk )?

Regards,
Deficite

you could use vs6''s text editor to write c#. then compile it using csc.exe. (c#/csc.exe are examples, you could use any language/compiler).

quote:
Original post by Smurfwow
you could use vs6''s text editor to write c#. then compile it using csc.exe. (c#/csc.exe are examples, you could use any language/compiler).

Thats an interesting idea, maybe you could use a project template to configure everything. Of cource you need csc.exe Isnt there an open-source project for this?

I will learn DX9 when its time to start another game, DX8 works just fine for me. I don''t even use any of the advanced features of DX8 yet too!

G''day!

You can''t have the DX8 and DX9 SDKs installed at the same time, you can use DX8 with the DX9 SDK. I''ve done DX8 development with the DX9 SDK for quite a few months and had no issues at all.

Stay Casual,

Ken
Drunken Hyena

I''ve just downloaded and had a quick peek at the DX9 SDK and I have to say what a splendid effort it seems to be.

Now, if someone could just explain the difference between managed DX9 and unmanaged, I would really appreciate it!

Guest Anonymous Poster
I''m don''t know the detals,
but i''ve been fiddling with it in C# for a couple of days and all I say is IT WORKS FOR NEWBIES!! )

The whole API is re-done and it is cleaner, more intuitive and all overall easier to understand.

Eg no DIRECTXNICELONGCAPSDEVICETHINY8 thing; thing.mjnverwoiFunnyName31 = value;

zilch_

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!